Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: A simple question : for those who want to outlaw abortion

I find it difficult to understand how someone as smart as you is willing to place the inconvenience of a small percentage of women ahead of an unborn's constitutional right to equal protection under the law. Where does it say in the Constition that we have a right not to be inconvenienced? I'm pretty sure there's a small piece detailing how we all are equal under the eyes of the law. I'm curious to hear you explain your position further, because I'm deeply confused as to how one can agree that only some of the unborn deserve the protection of our laws.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it difficult to understand how someone as smart as you is willing to place the inconvenience of a small percentage of women ahead of an unborn's constitutional right to equal protection under the law. Where does it say in the Constition that we have a right not to be inconvenienced? I'm pretty sure there's a small piece detailing how we all are equal under the eyes of the law. I'm curious to hear you explain your position further, because I'm deeply confused as to how one can agree that only some of the unborn deserve the protection of our laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how someone read the constitution and determined abortion was legal but they did.

Also remember that if my ideal law was supported by the majority and put into place there would be no such exception. All abortions except in cases where reasonable and serious physical danger existed would be illegal after sometime towards the end of the first trimester. So its not that I look at the unborn resulting from rape as worth less.

However in the absence of that I believe the next best solution is the one I explained. Above all else I believe a law on abortion should be based on the beliefs of the people and the people for the most see an abortion in cases of rape much differently than not.

Interestingly enough it is your position which in my opinion devalues human life more so than mine . for if having a life created inside you, having it developement from your body and then bringing into the world should only be seen as an inconvienence than how truly objectionable can deciding to end that process midstream be. You speak of this inconvenience as if it is something that can be forgotten and not one that would affect the mother for the remainder of her life. Atleast I believe giving birth is that significant an experience.

I view the decision to create life as this world's most important and I think it should not be hoisted upon someone against their will. The point at which this choice is made is at intercourse. In the absence of that form of free agency I would then allow the woman to consult her own internal set of values to make the decision.

It has so far already been determined that the constitution that the life of the unborn is not of equal value to the born. Any further distinctions we make are strictly morale, not legal,and I am quite comfortable with mine.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:40 AM

I should add, it is not like this is a black and white issue for me and it is something I struggled with for awhile. ultimately though I am satisfied with my current position.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it difficult to understand how someone as smart as you is willing to place the inconvenience of a small percentage of women ahead of an unborn's constitutional right to equal protection under the law. Where does it say in the Constition that we have a right not to be inconvenienced?

[/ QUOTE ]

(remember, readers, that in these two sentences BC is talking about forcing rape victims to carry their rapists' children to term)

q/q
Old 07-16-2005, 02:06 AM

Thanks for explaining your position. I'll just comment on a few things.
[ QUOTE ]
Interestingly enough it is your position which in my opinion devalues human life more so than mine . for if having a life created inside you, having it developement from your body and then bringing into the world should only be seen as an inconvienence than how truly objectionable can deciding to end that process midstream be. You speak of this inconvenience as if it is something that can be forgotten and not one that would affect the mother for the remainder of her life. Atleast I believe giving birth is that significant an experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a misinterpretation of my position. I do believe that pregnancy is a big deal. But I think the conception of a nother being is a bigger deal, and so I value the life of that unborn more than I value the woman's burden of pregnancy.

[ QUOTE ]
I view the decision to create life as this world's most important and I think it should not be hoisted upon someone against their will. The point at which this choice is made is at intercourse. In the absence of that form of free agency I would then allow the woman to consult her own internal set of values to make the decision.

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks like we're at an impasse. I just don't believe that the unborn should suffer the ultimate punishment for something that it had no control over. It perpetuates the cycle of violence. Man rapes woman. Woman kills baby. I acknowledge that the decision to bear children is a huge decision, but I just don't think that choice supercedes the right of that unborn to be given a chance at life.

[ QUOTE ]
It has so far already been determined that the constitution that the life of the unborn is not of equal value to the born. Any further distinctions we make are strictly morale, not legal,and I am quite comfortable with mine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, but we're talking about a hypothetical here, in which abortion is illegal in all but a few certain circumstances. We just happen to disagree as to what the circumstances for allowing abortion are. If we begin to assert that the unborn do have some right to life, than to begin deciding which unborn have this right based on the nature of their conception seems to violate the 14th amendment, imo.

And isn't the placement of some sort of threshold at which an unborn is considered worth enough to society that it warrants protection a moral one? What grounding in the legal system does such an arbitrary number like the third trimester have?
Old 07-16-2005, 02:12 AM

Yes, I am talking about this. If we say that abortion should be illegal, but legal when the baby was conceived via rape, then we're violating the baby's guarantee of equal protection under the law. It is very clearly not protected by the law outlawing abortion (in this hypothetical world, remember), while other babies are. That's discrimination and it's discrimination against a group that had no decision in it's method conception. So you can try to demogogue my position, but it just sounds petty.