Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Preflop question regarding KJs, please post opinion

[ QUOTE ]
excerpt from MLHP page 49...

Q: You are in the cutoff seat with KJ of clubs. Three players limp in. What do you do?

A: call. King-jack suited is normally not a raising hand. You want to see a flop, but not pay a high price to do so.

this situation is very similar to mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ciaffone and Brier are wrong. This is a very clear raise. (As per usual, they don't seem to have a completely sophisticated grasp of how equity is distributed in certain situations... That lack of mathematical insight I think is there biggest failing, and probably explains a fair percentage of the tight-weak advice they give. The book is quite good with those exceptions.)
Old 11-30-2005, 07:21 AM

akron ohio
Old 11-30-2005, 09:01 AM

I think its a pretty standard value raise. KJs plays well multiway. You might knock out players behind you to gain better position and take out a blind or two while you are at it.

I think 4-5 handed is optimal and most profitable for KJs.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Preflop question regarding KJ, please post opinion

Easy raise.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Preflop question regarding KJ, please post opinion

I think this is deffinitely a situation where you should raise.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
excerpt from MLHP page 49...

Q: You are in the cutoff seat with KJ of clubs. Three players limp in. What do you do?

A: call. King-jack suited is normally not a raising hand. You want to see a flop, but not pay a high price to do so.

this situation is very similar to mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ciaffone and Brier are wrong. This is a very clear raise. (As per usual, they don't seem to have a completely sophisticated grasp of how equity is distributed in certain situations... That lack of mathematical insight I think is there biggest failing, and probably explains a fair percentage of the tight-weak advice they give. The book is quite good with those exceptions.)

[/ QUOTE ]

First, MLH is great book, but it's geared to middle-limit holdem. In the book's example, they are assuming that the limpers are smarter than the average low-limit player, and would be limping in with the types of hands that dominate you if you weren't suited.

Second, there is another key difference between the OP and the book's example: you have posted. You get all the advantages of raising for the same price as a call. Generally, I'm raising any hand I would have called with had I not posted.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:36 PM

equity equity equity. when you raise, you will be getting at least 3:1, maybe 4:1 or more on your extra bet. in order to make this a break even bet, you would need to have 25% preflop equity. You have 35% equity assuming your opponents ahve 25-35 vpip. this is clearly positive ev.