Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Good bluff or just stupid?

You asked for constructive criticism, and while some of it was a bit mean-spirited and personal, you are sinking to that level yourself. The only response from others that you seem to be accepting is to the one that backed up your play. If you illicit criticism, you have to be able to read all of it with an open mind. The majority, and add mine to the list, are telling you it was a wild play based on the following factors:

1. It is the first hand, you have no reads.
2. It is the first hand. You have plenty of time to build your stack.
3. It is the first hand. If you get pegged as a LAG and keep making these plays you will get caught sooner, rather than later, and blow the few chips you have just won.
4. It is the first hand. You all have the same stack size. IF you already had a larger stack, reads on a tight medium-stacked player who you knew was capable of making a big lay-down -or- on a LAG you had a strong read on and were then sure he was bluffing, and had an image as a tight player yourself, THEN, this resteal might be considered a good play.
5. The fact that he/she folded is the only way you can justify your play. If "sadie" called and showed you a slow-played set of Tens, would you still insist it was a good play?
6. It is the first hand. Risking your entire stack on a gutshot draw on hand 1 is not generally accepted Multi-Table Strategy.

Your play was not, to quote the title of your OP "stupid" until you consider the circumstances of when you made this move, which was, in most opinions, ill advised.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:20 PM

i think that this play itself isn't terrible, but the timimg is. If you did this on the bubble when you and villina had comparible stacks, i would love it. However, on the first hand, increasing your stack by 30% is at best minimally helpful to your chances of going deep in the tournament. When you balance out that minimal benefit with the large downside, this move is badly timed.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:29 PM

How do you know she was bluffing? It's the first hand!

Reminds me of people who call your overpair/set with a draw and hit. They then say "I put you on overcards". No, you didn't "put me" on anything. It's the 3rd hand I've been at the table. You "were hoping" I had overcards.

Constructively, I agree that the risk/reward here makes this play pretty shaky.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you know she was bluffing? It's the first hand!

[/ QUOTE ]
My 15 years of experience told me she was bluffing. Kind of an overkill on the turn raise, no bet on the flop and I played it in a way where they could assume I was slow playing straight or the 7. Plus I still had an out. I wasn't playing to bluff, had a cheap draw for the gutshot and saw the opening for the steal and I took it.
Thanks and GL
Old 08-08-2005, 01:51 PM

You know, blackjack players just "know" when they should hit, other people have a "feeling" that the wheel is bound to land on red...

Somehow they all end up losing in the long run. Goodluck!
Old 08-08-2005, 01:13 PM

Certainly not brilliant.

Hero risks ~T950 to win ~t450 or ~2:1 so villain has to fold 2:1 to make this work for hero since he has no outs.

Will villain fold 2:1? Unclear, hero has no read as this is the 1st hand of the tournament.
Does hero have a good idea of what sort of hand villain is holding here? No.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:15 PM

Missed the gutshot draw.

Doesn't change anything. Still unclear and a bad play because no read or expectation for villain's behaviour.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:52 PM

Where did our hero finish in this tournament?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:05 PM

Au contraire. A semi brilliant play, because he is taking advantage of the fact that villain has no read on him!!! The fact that she threw her 225TC in the pot made this worth the risk--she was a fool NOT to call, unless, of course, she didn't have cards to back up her raise.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Au contraire. A semi brilliant play, because he is taking advantage of the fact that villain has no read on him!!! The fact that she threw her 225TC in the pot made this worth the risk--she was a fool NOT to call, unless, of course, she didn't have cards to back up her raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Beautiful San Diego, ah yes. Which of course, in English means a whale's vagina."

Brad