Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 04:12 AM

Default top two pair with draw heavy board

this is a live 6-12 game. the game is usually 5-7 handed and passive but both villians in the hand are the only other players besides me with tight preflop selection. despite being tight though neither villian seems as aggressive as the average 2+2'er. certainly not as aggressive as SSHE recommends. i think i have an aggressive image at the table since i've been on a rush around the time of this hand.

Hero is MP2 with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Preflop: 1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero raises, 4 folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop (6.5 Sb): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB bets, UTG+1 raises, Hero 3-bets, BB caps, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls

Turn (9 BB): J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls

River (12 BB): T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
everyone checks

I would really like feedback on this hand bc the results have completely clouded by judgement about what i actually should have done different if anything at all. I cannot look at this hand objectively hence why i am posting it.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:11 AM

Default Re: top two pair with draw heavy board

Even though you have top two, you cant like that flop cap. What does the BB have that he would call a raise PF (you said he was tight) and then like that flop enough to cap it? I seldom put players on exactly one hand, but the demon living in the back of my head that always screams "He has a set!" perked right up. Depends on how straightforward this guy is post flop. Unless he's a lot more nuts then you give him credit for Id say a set of eights is quite possible (although he could be getting fancy with another KQ, or even AK if hes not aggressive preflop).

When UTG+1 raises on the flop im thinking he has a weaker king (KJ, KT especially suited) or is raising a flush draw.

On the turn, when the BB keeps firing, I think Id go into call down mode too, b/c I really wouldnt want to pay three to look at the river.

When the scare four straight comes at the end, it largely doesnt matter what he had on the flop and turn (although I still think its a set of eights or top two along with you), b/c that check indicates that a straight is better that what hes pushing.

I dont think I could bet the river representing the straight either, and Id check it through as well.

I suspect you lost to the BB, and I think the best you could hope for was a split, but I cant find any fault in how you played it.

From youre comments though, it wouldnt surprise me if BB was just going nuts with top pair and you won the hand, or UTG+1 was just calling a monster all the way down.

I dont think theres anything you could have done differently in this hand.

TRWIII
Old 07-02-2005, 01:06 PM

yeah i feel like BB either also has KQ or 88. he almost certainly would 3-bet KK or QQ. The ep player complicates things though since he likes his hand/draw enough to come along but nothing really can tell me excatly what he has, he might have a busted flush draw or be too passive to bet a one card straight. this hand had me confused more than any other recently.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:46 PM

There are more experienced posters on here that will weigh in, so take my comments as well meant, but see others too.

Doubt BB has AA, KK, QQ since he called pf. His bet-cap on the flop is a scary movie, isn't it? Of course he could have a set of 8's, but he could have KX or QX and X could be an Ace. And he could have a flush draw that he's pushing pretty hard at you, as a value bet, and at this point you also have to think about a str8 draw. With top 2 I can easily see calling the cap.

Probably from here, the C/C to the end is the way to go, but of course on the turn, you couldn't know he was going to check the river. (I wish in posting this you had cut it off with his bet on the turn and UTG+1's call.)

I kind of wonder at his bet on the turn, though. If he had a set, or if the J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] had completed a straight for him, mightn't he have check-raised? So Maybe you could think about raising him on the turn to check him out, to get a check-through on the river (you didn't know that was coming anyhow), to maybe shuck UTG+1 (what the hell has HE got?), and maybe to win it right there.

If re-raised, you'd drop it, and you'd check through on the river.

Just my $.02 worth...
bc