Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 05:47 PM

Default AK flops Top pair against (good?) aggressive player

Don't really know for sure about villian in this one. Prior to this he has come over the top of me both on the flop and pre-flop. The pre-flop time was when I raise from CO with 97s and had to fold to his +7 dollar reraise from button. The next time I semi-bluffed at a striaght draw. So I didn't play back either time.

Another time he came over the top when I had AT for tptk on the flop and then bet out about 1/2 pot at a 3 flush board on the turn.

By the time this hand came up he has been around for about 40+ hands. He looks decent six max wise. Maybe hoping I had stumbled into my big stack as people are prone to due at 6max so he gets the good seat right to my left. See's about 35% of flops and is agressive pre and post.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($3.75)
SB ($49.35)
Hero ($104.46)
UTG ($45.95)
MP ($33.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, UTG calls $2, SB folds.

Flop: ($5.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $12</font>, Hero calls $8.

Turn: ($29.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $12</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $41.50

I think I could have definetly raise to 3 instead of 2 pre-flop. Based on his turn bet size I was going to possibly check-raise all in on the turn on a non club or instead I might have lead the turn. Just couldn't commit any more when the flush hit as he seem's capable of the semi-bluff on the flop which just adds to his hand range that now beats me.

Where do you play it different? I just have this aversion to backing 100xBB with TPTK so I am never sure with these hands.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: AK flops Top pair against (good?) aggressive player

Need some advice on this one guys? Anyone?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:07 PM

Bet again on the turn. He could easily have AQ, AJ or worse. If he raises you again, though, you can fold.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:21 PM

When the 3rd club fell that was definetly the only other option I was considering. I think I would have bet ~15 if I had the AcKx, or AcKc so that is what I was contemplating.

Due to his agressiveness you like a check on the turn instead on a non-club going for a check/raise or still the stop and go?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:29 PM

I like reraising the flop. If you don't want to do that, check/call the turn and river. I definitely don't like to fold this for a less than half-pot bet on the turn.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:55 PM

Given the action prior to this hand I think you need to take a stand. He's seen that he can push you out of pots and thats what it looks like he's doing again. I think you have to reraise this and then bet any non-club river. JMO
Old 02-28-2005, 10:13 PM

Still the stop and go. It doesn't inflate the pot out of position so you can still get away. Your equity goes up significantly on a blank turn if he is indeed on a draw. And it keeps the pressure on him more in later rounds because he can't just raise your flop bet and then determine the strength of your hand from your reaction to it on the flop.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:14 PM

I thought about re-raising the flop for a moment but I didn't want to build such a big pot out of postion getting me closer and closer to pot-commitment. I thought I would rather stop and go to get the same effect. Then I just fudged it when the turn came a club and gave up.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:24 PM

Makes sense to me! Very good points. Thanks.