Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 01:52 AM

Default how do you play against loose inexpirenced players? I NEED HELP PLEASE

I play in a home game with some friends and two of them besides me are good and two are decent but then there are others who are horrible and play horrible hands and I don't know how to play against thwm since I can't put them on any hands. so I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tells or even strategy to play against them I could use all the help anyone can offer. thank you!
Old 06-04-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: how do you play against loose inexpirenced players? I NEED HELP PL

If only there were a book about how to play against loose, inexperienced players.

http://www.twoplustwo.com/books.html#Small%20Stakes%20Hold'em
Old 06-04-2005, 02:40 AM

Even bad players have a thought process. Try and figure out there's. Due some play any hand, and then call down if they hit anything? If so, bet for value your decent/good hands but dont try and bluff. If they are a total maniac, and bet with anything...you have to call them down with very marginal holdings. These type of players can be a little frustrating at times, but I cant think of a better table than what you described.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: how do you play against loose inexpirenced players? I NEED HELP PLEASE

Hit them in the face with a sock full of your bankroll if they hand you any bad beats.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Re: how do you play against loose inexpirenced players? I NEED HELP PLEASE

Just be patient untill you have a HUGE edge (not AKs preflop edge, set on the flop type edge), and then PUNISH them.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:49 AM

1) Play a solid, unimaginative game - premium starting hands. Your standards will be higher than theirs, so over time, you'll profit more.

2) Unimaginative means don't bluff - they won't get what you're representing, or why they should be worried about it. They will call ANYTHING.

3) Don't try to put them on hands - they don't really know what they're looking for. Just ask yourself: do I have the best hand?
Old 06-04-2005, 01:30 PM

thanks for your help! anyone know of any tells on begginers?
Old 06-04-2005, 01:38 PM

Another (long term) tip: no matter what DO NOT TEACH THEM HOW TO PLAY BETTER and DO NOT BE RESULTS ORIENTATED (ie dont limp in with your aces just because everytime you raise with them preflop they call anyways and suck out on you, there may be a reason to limp with aces in some games but this is not it). oh and read small stakes holdem, its specific for limit but a must read nonetheless.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:45 PM

Was reading one of Mike Caro's books last week. He suggests that any time your opponents deviate from ideal strategy (loose or passive)you can profit by loosening up a LITTLE.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:50 PM

oh yeah and a few more tips. beginners generally don't mix up their game. if they slowplay/checkraise with top pair one time they'll probably do it every time, or if they overbet the pot when they flop a monster one time they'll probably do it every time.
beginners don't understand position. they don't realise that some hands that can be played on the button can't be played UTG.

in general if i play in a game like this where i feel im a big favorite(especially if its no-limit) i like limping with a lot of marginal hands looking to punish them on ther later streets if I flop a monster. this kind-of goes against what the other poster said about playing premium hands which has its merits, it really just depends on how big a favorite you think you are and how much better you play postflop. the bigger the favorite you are the more hands you can play. also if you are playing freezout tournaments where the blinds increase, the deeper the stacks (ie more chips you have with respect to the blinds) the bigger your edge will be.

good luck