Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: More fuel for the eminent domain fire

yes, they value something differently, a single individual is not the sole determinante of the value of something, regardless of if they own it.

Property rights are far more arbitrary, and far less meaningful then you think, IMHO.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Florida city considers eminent domain

Florida's Riviera Beach is a poor, predominantly black, coastal community that intends to revitalize its economy by using eminent domain, if necessary, to displace about 6,000 local residents and build a billion-dollar waterfront yachting and housing complex.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Democrats racism shines through yet again. How anyone with a brain can vote for a modern Democrat is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Libertarian. My parents are Republicans. To say something like that, you, sir, are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree (and am a Libertarian, too). Republicans would use the eminent domain laws to seize lands when in their interest as well, as is being done in Illinois (Repub governor) to seize lands for a 3rd Chicago airport. The farm lands they are seizing from folks are those held for generations by good fellow red-state Americans who will not sell for "assessed" value. The lands will provide the state and local economy probably billions in revenuye and be a boon for the area -- so why don't they buy these folks out at what they are asking? Simple. Because they don't have to when the govt can just point a gun at them and say "take our offer or go to jail". Use the eminent domain laws to steal the lands at "assessed" values and boot those farmers on their asses.

[/ QUOTE ]

At no point did I say anything about Republicans. I KNOW they would do the same thing. Apparently reading things that are not there is a skill many on this forum have, too bad they make themselves look stupid using the skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

We know you didn't say it, but when you accuse others for supporting a party even though they're doing the same thing your party would do in this case, then you come off as a fool.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Property rights are far more arbitrary, and far less meaningful then you think, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain it to me.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Florida city considers eminent domain

Florida's Riviera Beach is a poor, predominantly black, coastal community that intends to revitalize its economy by using eminent domain, if necessary, to displace about 6,000 local residents and build a billion-dollar waterfront yachting and housing complex.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Democrats racism shines through yet again. How anyone with a brain can vote for a modern Democrat is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Libertarian. My parents are Republicans. To say something like that, you, sir, are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree (and am a Libertarian, too). Republicans would use the eminent domain laws to seize lands when in their interest as well, as is being done in Illinois (Repub governor) to seize lands for a 3rd Chicago airport. The farm lands they are seizing from folks are those held for generations by good fellow red-state Americans who will not sell for "assessed" value. The lands will provide the state and local economy probably billions in revenuye and be a boon for the area -- so why don't they buy these folks out at what they are asking? Simple. Because they don't have to when the govt can just point a gun at them and say "take our offer or go to jail". Use the eminent domain laws to steal the lands at "assessed" values and boot those farmers on their asses.

[/ QUOTE ]

At no point did I say anything about Republicans. I KNOW they would do the same thing. Apparently reading things that are not there is a skill many on this forum have, too bad they make themselves look stupid using the skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

We know you didn't say it, but when you accuse others for supporting a party even though they're doing the same thing your party would do in this case, then you come off as a fool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a Republican. Where did you read that part?

EDIT: Moreover, I was referring more to the fact that this is a liberal plot to steal minority land basically. I thought liberals "cared" about minorities (they do NOT)... I will write this again, I KNOW Republicans do the same things. It does NOT make it right.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are some people in the hospital. Two that each need a kidney, two that each need a lung, one that needs a heart, one that needs a liver, and one guy that has a broken leg.

Let's make it more interesting. The people in need of organs are nobel-winning scientists and they all have families, and the guy with a broken leg is a drunkard bum with no family, but has never hurt a fly.

The people that need organs are going to die within the hour if they don't get transplants. A miracle doctor can perform all the transplants in time, but the only prospective donor is the guy with the broken leg.

Those people NEED those organs, more than anyone ever needed some crappy piece of land. Should the doctor kill the one broken leg patient to save six others?

[/ QUOTE ]

So Jdanz, did you figure out what you're going to do here? I made it as much of a softball as I could.

Since you say the good of society trumps the weak property privleges (rather than rights) you claim people have, this should be a no brainer, right? I mean, if you're willing to take from a person to build a road, you should be doubly eager to take from a person (especially a non-productive person) in order to sustain six super-productive people.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:39 PM

Value is not a tangible thing. There is no such thing as "true" value. Thus, you are in no posistion to say you are more capable of divining a thing which doesn't exist.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I made it as much of a softball as I could.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't make that up [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I made it as much of a softball as I could.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't make that up [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I "modified" it a bit.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Value is not a tangible thing. There is no such thing as "true" value.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you believe this in poker as well?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:21 PM

There is more then financial value.

For instance, the people I make money from play because of psycological reasons. They think they are winners, they like the rush of gambling, all thier friends play poker, whatever.

We make an equal trade, I pay them mostly in thier own ignorance.