Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Comment on AGGRO pf-style!

Please add your wisdom to the following thoughts on preflop play!

Basic idea - often take the lead or be out. Only play marginal hands in position.

Never open-limp. Always come in for a raise.

(perhaps you all do this?)

"Never" cold call a raise as first caller. Either Reraise OR fold. Exception - weakling with big stack raised, then a call with a marginal hand may be OK.

Only limp in with selected hands (low pairs; Axs; sooted connectors) when in LP and there are 2+ limpers in before you; possibly also in MP when table is passive behind you.

Blinds - conservative and tight.

Please comment on the merits and drawbacks of this approach!

Thanx,
jaxz
Old 08-18-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Comment on AGGRO pf-style!

I don't like all your absolutes (i.e. "always" and "never")...it's going to make you easily readable in the long run...

ERBY [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 11:10 AM

I see what you are trying to get at, but I think you think about NL the same way as limit.

You know, my friend--who was amazing at limit, but was new to NL--ask me a similar question. He asked me about the general rules that you should follow playing NL. The answer is that there are no hard and true rules in NL.

I guess there are general guidelines you can follow preflop (for instance, I tend to reraise 3x or 4x with a premium hand, +1 for every limper), but most of your preflop action is relative to the table. What limit is the table, is the table laggy, is it 6 max or full, what is the quality of the opponents, etc., are all questions you should consider. There's no way you can come up with rules. For instance, you say "never open limp", but I often open limp with small pocket pair if the table is right, even in EP.

A wise man once said, "Limit is a science. No limit is an art." Just something to keep in mind.

--solids
Old 08-18-2005, 11:22 AM

My PF style is very simple.

See as few flops as possible out of position.

See as many flops as possible in position.

Out of position, you always have a premium holding, so you're likely to be able to commit your stack on the flop or preflop.

In position, you're likely to have crap, which allows you to outplay opponents and/or value bet the hell out of them when you hit.

I've been doing great with this.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:47 AM

I don't like the first 2 theorems.
Default actions:
(1) I open limp small PPs in EP
(2) I like to call w/ PPs as first caller in any position
and now you can guess why I don't like #3 either.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:00 PM

basically always be the aggressor, in basic game theory, if your betting you can either win by them folding or win by hitting your cards. If your calling you can only win if you have the best cards.. The "call scare" tactic doesnt work very well in poker so... you know.. and thus, you need better cards to call than to bet.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:07 PM

I play 6-max, and here's my thoughts:

[ QUOTE ]

Basic idea - often take the lead or be out. Only play marginal hands in position.

Looks fine to me, if I'm the first in the pot, I almost always come in for a raise, EXCEPTIONS being 22-55

"Never" cold call a raise as first caller. Either Reraise OR fold. Exception - weakling with big stack raised, then a call with a marginal hand may be OK.

I feel its fine to cold call - especially if I'm on the Button with only the blinds behind me. I'd probably cold call with 66-1010, and low/medium suited connectors if the raiser also has a deep stack

Only limp in with selected hands (low pairs; Axs; sooted connectors) when in LP and there are 2+ limpers in before you; possibly also in MP when table is passive behind you.

I don't limp Axs, I actually usually fold them, and I'll limp with a lot of suited connectors, one-gappers, and some suited broadways from LP (but I'm usually raising those)

Depends - if someone's been raising on the Button a lot, I'll pop in a re-raise with more hands than usual, even with something like AJo or 99

Thanx,
jaxz

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-18-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(perhaps you all do this?)

Thanx,
jaxz

[/ QUOTE ]

NEVER say never when it comes to poker strategy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]