Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Agree/Disagree

[ QUOTE ]
$7,000/2yrs or $7,000/730 days = $9.59 a day. Your playing for lunch money?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, it's not a bad result for a hobby. Ask people who play golf or ski as a hobby what their +/- is for the last 2 years. I'm pretty sure our boy here has them crushed.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
7k = almost 2 years

[/ QUOTE ]

That stat isn't going to blow people away around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh.

move up in limits then. seems like your game is wayyy too catered to play $11s and $22s. The higher games, there's considerably less donks (although my recent $55s heater would disagree) and pushing while you still have FE is CRUCIAL.

in conclusion, to the OP: I disagree. You're fired!!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I go all in before the blinds hit 100/200 in EVERY sng I play. Your friend can't be winning if he doesn't do this.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not sure why you think there is only one approach to winning SNG play. We might consider his approach inferior (and it might be) but that doesn't meanhe can't use it at the 11s and 22s and beat the game.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying that it is your objective to not get all of your chips in the pot unless you are sure you have the winning hand. SURE you have the winning hand. The object is not to go all in with AQ preflop with 750 chips when the blinds are at 50/100

[/ QUOTE ]
With those blinds and that stack, I would go all in with AQ on the button when folded to me every time. What would you do? Folding is out of the question. Raise? To what? 300? Just plain stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Button? Hell I'm tossing my stack in UTG with this monster.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I go all in before the blinds hit 100/200 in EVERY sng I play. Your friend can't be winning if he doesn't do this.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not sure why you think there is only one approach to winning SNG play. We might consider his approach inferior (and it might be) but that doesn't meanhe can't use it at the 11s and 22s and beat the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
I never said there is only one approach. I just think his approach sucks. I think you underestimate how extreme HIS approach is. I really do find it hard to believe someone could win doing this.

Not going all in til 100/200? Unless he's playing tons of hands early to build a stack, he'll be blinded down to <600 chips by the time the blinds get this high. Come on. I dare you to tell me that you think this is a winning approach.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:41 AM

Disagree. He's wrong. This really isn't debatable.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
are you telling me that would would push all in at a 10+1 in first position with AQ? that's absurd. the play at these tables is so loose, it's not out of the question to be called by J10 and 92. i prefer to be able to see a flop, and outplay people from there, rather then relying on blind luck.

7k = almost 2 years

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't want JT to call you when you have AQ AT ANY LEVEL OF ANY TOURNAMENT (bubble considerations aside) then you're an idiot.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:47 AM

Poor examples, misapplied, out of context, whatever...from the 30,000 foot level, the statement - if limited in his ability to elucidate*, does have merit.

A better statement might be worded like this:

[ QUOTE ]
STT poker is all about accumulating chips without showdown. In short stack STTS, FE is king.

That has nothing to do with having all or some of your chips in the middle.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

* my word of the day, hope i didn't fugitup [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 10:47 AM

Sigh. The 'different approaches' argument has gone too far.

Sure, there are varying styles that can be effective. However, there are certain fundamental aspects of SNG play that are dictated by probability. This probability does not change from game to game. This constant means that there are certain strategies that are correct such a high percentage of the time, that it's horribly non-optimal to ignore them.

I know several stubborn, bad poker players. When I tell them their mistake, their answer is always: "Well, I just don't play the same style as you do."

Right. I play a winning style, and they play a losing style.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not going all in til 100/200? Unless he's playing tons of hands early to build a stack, he'll be blinded down to <600 chips by the time the blinds get this high. Come on. I dare you to tell me that you think this is a winning approach.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't have any experience with PP 800 chips stacks. But, this guy has won $7k over two years (we don't know over how many SNGs). I don't see why we shouldn't believe him. I think there is a tendency in this forum to pooh-pooh any approach that isn't along STTF party lines.

In low stakes PS turbos, I imagine you could beat the game if you never started pushbotting before 100/200 level, but the larger chip stacks must make a big difference.

Please don't misunderstand. I don't think the guy is playing optimally. I just think that there is room at low buy-in SNGs to give up a few % of ROI and still be a winning player. And, the psychology of this approach might fit this player better -- he may not be able to handle the pushing approach -- so it might actually serve him better.

I don't expect he will be as successful if he moves up a few levels. Then the ROI is is giving up might turn him into a losing player.
Closed Thread