Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2004, 10:58 AM

Default Celebrating a big win

In the NHL, when a team wins the Stanley Cup, their bench pours onto the ice and they go batshit for a few minutes. the losing team just kind of waits there. Then, the two teams line up and shake hands. Losers leave, winners continue massive celebration. This is the same in earlier playoff rounds, just more subdued.

In MLB, when a team wins the World Series, the winning team creates a giant, sweaty, manpile on the field while the losing team slinks off. I don't think there's a team handshake, but could be wrong.

In the NBA, when a team wins the NBA Finals, they go batshit on the court while the losing team slinks off (or, if you're the Lakers, pouts off).

In the NFL, when a team wins the Super Bowl, the winning team goes batshit while the losing team wanders around stunned and wanders off. If it's a blowout, there's more wander. If it's close, there's more stunned. In fact, one player on the winning team has a camera jammed in his face so he can brag about going to Disney Wold.

In NCAA Hoops, winning teams (not just the finals, but regional finals, and even 1st and 2nd round close games) go batshit. Losing teams look stunned, some even lying on the floor crying.

Maurice Green, one of the current "fastest men alive" takes his track shoes off after winning a 100m race and a friend sprays a fire extinguisher on them, because he "runs so fast, his shoes are on fire".

Yet in poker, a sport with a history of being seedy, and laced with scumbags and cheats and generally unlikeable people, when someone wins a tournament and celebrates, viewers get on their ass like a pit bull on raw steak about being classless, and how they should have just calmly shaken the loser's hand and gone off to celebrate with a beer.

Give me a freaking break. Winning a WSOP bracelet is a dream come true for almost all of these guys. Something they never thought would happen, but wanted more than anything. Celebrating is not only normal, but it's common.

Sure, you have some people who don't, and who go right to the handshake, and that's admirable. I'd like to think that if I won something like that, I'd shout with joy and jump up, but be sure to get in a handshake before I went too crazy. I think Moneymaker's win last year is a pretty good example of how I'd like to handle it.

That said, getting on people because they celebrate is just silly.

Especially with Scott Fischman. There are a ton of other valid reasons to hate him, you don't need to overinflate this one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Celebrating a big win

THE ISLAND OF CRETE!
Old 07-23-2004, 11:17 AM

*laugh* That guy was a little annoying.

I agree that big hands and pre-heads up knock outs should have substantially less (or none) celebrating. A handshake and not much more.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
THE ISLAND OF CRETE!

[/ QUOTE ] that was the last thing i expected to see and it made me [censored] my pants. thank you
Old 07-23-2004, 12:35 PM

Yeah, I've often ranted about the same thing.

In the unlikely event that I should ever win a major televised tournament, I hereby pledge to make such a spectacle of myself as to singlehandedly cause half the posters here to give up the game out of embarassment.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:43 PM

you could have thrown in NCAA football, where the fans rip down the goalposts and parade around the field, that must make the losing team feel pretty good, even worse if you were that school last year where the visiting fans ripped down the home teams goalpost after they won.

that [censored] is straight up crazy, yo.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:14 PM

I think a lot of people in sports are ridiculed for their celebrations. I hated seeing Green put the fire extinguisher on his shoes, I thought it was completely classless. T.O. with his Sharpie was completely classless, so are most end zone celebrations.

It is fine to celebrate but laying on the table kicking your legs like an idiot while the loser is standing right next to you looking for a handshake is classless. Shake the guys hand first, then go hump the rest of the "crew".
Old 07-23-2004, 01:16 PM

amazing post. I've been saying this all along, but havn't had the time/inclination to type it all out like this.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of people in sports are ridiculed for their celebrations. I hated seeing Green put the fire extinguisher on his shoes, I thought it was completely classless. T.O. with his Sharpie was completely classless, so are most end zone celebrations.

It is fine to celebrate but laying on the table kicking your legs like an idiot while the loser is standing right next to you looking for a handshake is classless. Shake the guys hand first, then go hump the rest of the "crew".

[/ QUOTE ]

But the poster clearly made the point that in other sports they celebrate first, then shake hands, so why should it be any different here?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:08 PM

I haven't even read the rest of the thread yet, but this is a great post. It's on ESPN, viewers expect some celebration. I watched it with two non poker players, and they thought it was great when he fell back on the table.

Justin A