Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Wild 66 Hand

In HPFAP they suggest to check when you have a 4 outer in a heads up or 3 way pot. That is when you have 2 pair when a flush or straight card hits. Not when you should have 10 outs in a 5 way pot that has a gazzilion bets in it. A lot of times this check when you have outs bet when you dont strategy is a good one but here it doesnt apply.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:36 AM

Never even considered laying the hand down although if a fourth spade came on the river and it was still multiway that would probably be the correct thing to do.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:41 AM

Hi E - my thinking was very similar to yours although in poker as in life I never say never. Actually I commented to the player on my left after the hand that I probably would hve played Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] the same way and maybe even A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] X [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. In retrospect I wondered if representing such a hand might not have gotten medium to big singleton spades to lay down, but I was so convinced there must be a made flush that I wasn't thinking along those lines at the time.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Results

Well, I did check the turn reluctamtly. I hate giving free cards and probably bet too often in these situations because of that sentiment. I appreciate the feedback and in retrospect think this check is more debatable than I first thought. This is particualrly the case given what happened. The turn was checked all the way through. Many of you will immediately know what was then going on in my mind. I was simultaneously pleased to know that I wasn't facing a flush and pissed at myself for giving a free card. The rest of the hand is pretty automatic - 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] came on the river, I bet and got one caller and won a big pot.

Some of you commented that maybe there was a 30% or so chance that there was not a flush - I would not have thought it was that high but perhaps it was. I still am not sure what hands were out there but I suspect a couple of pocket pairs hoping to hit a set.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok first of all I would definitly have checked the flop with the pre-flop raiser whos raising hands here are probably pretty limited after it goes limp limp limp first 3 guys in including yourself raises. Unless hes the type to check a totaly missed ak or aq here (not having a spade) then check and have an absoulte certain chance of checkraising the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you want to bet into preflop raiser hoping that he will raise and thin the field in such a big pot? In a smaller pot I would also go for the checkraise but not in this one.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you bet the flop you encourage people to fold hands that are drawing dead to yours (lone overcards and underpairs)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't bet the flop, you encourage people with a single spade to hold on. That's great....usually, but not with this much money already in the pot. It's time to win it all right now.