Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Pot Odds are killing me in Party Tournaments

You're going to miss this draw 4 out of 5 times that you go chase it. But if they're going to price you in then you should be chasing. Think if the river made your straight and you got a nice check raise in and picked up a t800+ chip pot because some donk gave you 6:1 odds on a straight draw.

But, yes, it is frustrating since you will miss your draw here most of the time.

Calling the min-raise to t80 might be a small leak since the orginal raiser could reraise, but if you have a strong feeling he won't or if you've never seen him 3 bet it then yes you should be making the call.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you really make a post with this title?

[/ QUOTE ]

This adds a lot. Yeah, I did. You can PM me info on being a better poster if you want to take the time.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:29 PM

With all due respect, I think you're looking at this the wrong way. It sounds like you're running bad and/or having negative expectations when you're playing tournaments.

Instead of looking at the total loss of chips, look at the individual decisions you made in the hand. If each decision makes sense given all the information you had at the time, you made the correct move. It's irrelevant that you lost 260 chips in this example - your play makes money in the long run.

Now there's also the issue of your line on this kind of hand, which is related. You can lead the flop. You could reraise all-in on the flop. You could call the flop and lead out the turn. And you could bluff the river. You have to mix up how you play your draws, especially when you have a good read on someone.

For example, I love leading the flop with a flush draw because it's difficult for villains to put me on a draw, and if they're strong enough to call the bet, they're usually going to stick around if I hit my flush. And you can throw out a blocking bet on the turn if you miss, or bet more if you think he'll fold.

And in your example, you could also fold preflop, which might be a good idea for now. Yes you have odds, but you're not going to lose much (if anything) if you fold in these situations. And if you don't like those types of decision at the moment, you can tighten up until you're feeling a little more confident. Personally, I'd fold pf, and if I got there, I'd drop it after the flop reraise.

One more thing - if you're playing a lot of tournaments, you're going to face a lot of +EV situations where you're a dog to win the hand. It's counterintuitive, but you have to just go for it.

gl
Old 12-22-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With all due respect, I think you're looking at this the wrong way. ...

It's irrelevant that you lost 260 chips in this example - your play makes money in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will make you money long term in a cash game, that's for sure. But, you guys are kind of missing the boat as to what OP is saying here. I think his question is--Is it worth risking 1/4 of my stack to chase a draw when I have correct pot odds early in a tourney, before I've built any stack at all.

If OP had 2k in chips, it is easy to continue in +EV'ville. With 945, and it costing you 1/4 of them to chase and connect on something you only connect on 1/5th of the time, I'm not so sure. Accumulating chips is more important than following a selected path just because it has a small positive EV.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:00 PM

It has nothing to do with being a better poster, its the unbeleivable contradiction in poker terms. I mean, its like saying "God these +EV decisions are really hurting my EV."
Old 12-22-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did you really make a post with this title?

[/ QUOTE ]

This adds a lot. Yeah, I did. You can PM me info on being a better poster if you want to take the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

well its because your title is the answer ....youre being results oriented. the odds dictate that calling there is a very +EV decision. so what, you get short stacked a few times because your chasing draws for cheap early on. but youre still seeing results, not whether or not youre making the optimal decision for each hand in relationship to the tournament as a whole.