Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Hand ranges

I think he will 3 bet the river with AA/KK and sometimes with a T. Lots of bad players get into the "I have 8's full of tens, I RAISE!" mindset (queue the dinosaur image). Based on his turn play I think all of those hands with this type of player could definitely 3 bet the river enough to cap IF he has them enough to raise in the first place.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he will 3 bet the river with AA/KK and sometimes with a T. Lots of bad players get into the "I have 8's full of tens, I RAISE!" mindset (queue the dinosaur image).

[/ QUOTE ]

With a T, ok, I can see that, but with AA/KK? I don't think anyone will three bet often after a capped turn. He did post UTG, so who knows.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think he will 3 bet the river with AA/KK and sometimes with a T. Lots of bad players get into the "I have 8's full of tens, I RAISE!" mindset (queue the dinosaur image).

[/ QUOTE ]

With a T, ok, I can see that, but with AA/KK? I don't think anyone will three bet often after a capped turn. He did post UTG, so who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]
You agree that he'll 3 bet 8's full of tens but not 8's full of aces? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 03:48 PM

The obvious concern, as stated, is the UTG. With Hero's 3-bet preflop, UTG is laid 6.5 to 1 on his call--making a call with a range of A8/K8/78/89/8T appropriate. He will obviously not fold to a capped bet. The UTG check in the first round preflop indicates he probably doesn't have TT, the second nut we would worry about later in the hand.

The CO is insignificant as he gets his last 3/10th BB in on the flop. The UTG check 3-bet indicates he has at least an eight.

The nine on the turn gives Hero the second nut, worthy of capping. This street was played properly.

The eight on the river (this MUST be Party Poker, lol) is the worst card in the deck for Hero. The river call is entirely appropriate given the preflop range which has become more defined on the turn.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:40 PM

oops!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:47 PM

This hand plays itself from start to finish, and it plays exactly the way you did.

EDIT: there are so many ways in which the poster can hold an 8, you cannot possibly raise the river.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:11 PM

beware the UTG poster....
Old 11-08-2005, 05:12 PM

Although he could have an 8, the fact that he check raises the flop makes this less likely IMO. It seems like the type of person who posted UTG would like to slowplay this and check raise the turn (not only people who posted UTG, but that fact makes it more likely). I'm guessing either AT or TT here, TT being more likely since at least most people would have the sense that 8s full of T is beat by what looks like your overpair.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
These types of hands leave me wondering...if I were a better player, would I fold the river? Or, would folding the river make me a better player? It's so hard to do anything but call getting 18:1, but I can't even figure out 1 hand that I'm ahead of or chopping with on the river.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you read it a bit wrong [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. We have nines full so it's not like any bigger pair wins now. That said it doesn't look too good, but I'm nearly sure it's a call without doing the math.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, nines full of Aces does not beat nines full of eights?? Yes? No? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 05:34 PM

Does his hand range really even matter? There's no other way to play this thing, IMO.