Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Internet-poker-playing world traveller

/bump

I'm still intersted in any expereinces people have had with poker-playing mixed with world travel.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:18 PM

Are there any blogs out there by people who are doing this?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know most places have internet access, but the places I'd most like to play in surely wouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think we are of the same mind-set. I want to go to off-the-beaten-path places, deserted beaches, visit a Buddist temples high up some mountain, or some mayan ruins deep in a jungle.

My wife wants to go to someplace where they have Costco. She wants touristy, and safety... as if every country in southeast Asia has roaming baby-stealing fundamentalist bandits. My response: "Yeah, let's go somewhere where there's lots of white people who speak English and eat at McDonalds."

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Costa Rica. It has been 10 years since I have been there but it may be a good compromise. She can hang at a touristy beach and you can roam into Nicaraugua if that is your thing. The country is absolutely beautiful and people are friendly to Americans.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:31 AM

Wow, all of you finally talking about my country. I must say that here in Argentina, we don't have any tax issues, like you seem to have in the US, so it could be profitable for this reason also. The cost of living here, specially in other small Cities like Rosario, where I am located, is really cheap, when ur wallet is full of USdollars.
About Internet Speed, main options are Cable and ADSL, with speeds from 1MB to 5MB.

If anyone of you are interested in coming to my country, PM me and I can recommend you some locations and cheap houses here.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:49 AM

Regardless of the tax situation in Argentina or anywhere else. U.S. citizens do still have an income-tax obligation even if they are earning that income outside the U.S.

Meaning: yup...we still have to pay taxes (kinda sucks).

Americans living abroad DO get a tax break though which is kinda nice.

I'm not doing the world-traveller yet.
But will be doing the 'American' traveler bit beginning next May or june hopefully.
GF wants to be a traveling nurse where she would often-times get paid to move and perhaps even get rent covered to work in whatever location for 3-6 months.

We intend to bounce around the U.S. a little bit.
For several months we had always planned our first destination to be New Orleans. Those plans have kinda changed due to recent events.

We're now looking at Colorado first (she went there on vacation and loved it) and then possibly northern Calif., Miami, maybe even Hawaii. Who knows??

Yeah...travelling around the world would sure be more exciting.
But with our current situation it would just work better for us to stay within the states and it's not that bad of a substitute.
(ANYTHING that isn't Memphis feels like a totally different universe to us at this point).

Maybe in a couple years if we have the time, ability and money (and online-poker is still treating me well) we'll be off to South America and Europe.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:15 AM

if you have a years salary in the bank you should get your family out of the in-laws house. im sure they are secretly pissed off at you.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:45 AM

I'm just coming to the end my 6 month (extended to 8 month stay) in Thailand. I decided to come over because I like the country, the climate, the women and because I could get up and start playing poker at 8.00am Thai time (9.00pm EST) and play until 2.00pm (3.00am EST).

This compares most favourably to home where I would start work (i.e. playing poker) at 10.00pm local time and play until the next morning.

Playing poker for money is illegal in Thailand as are alot of things. Chances of officialdom finding YOU doing it and of being successfully prosecuted are extremely slim.

For the first 5 months I stayed at a serviced apartment with free internet in Bangkok. For the last couple I have rented a small apartment ($320 a month (elec, internet, water and rent) and thought my Thai girlfriend how to play poker.

She's over 1BB/100 on the small tables but with bonuses and rake back I guess she'll make about 3 or 4 times what a policeman earns here. I've bought her her own computer and am leaving her the two flat 19 inch crts I got for a $100.

I thinking of going walkabout with a laptop next year, maybe hit the states first before going back to NZ and OZ ending up back in Thailand.

Always be folding
Old 09-29-2005, 03:47 AM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

hahahaha, thank god this has been said.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:47 AM

i'm starting this on October 4th

http://grindblog.blogspot.com
Old 09-29-2005, 05:28 AM

Don't worry about the internet part, you find hotspots everywhere (I have test-traveled a bit in Europe since I am considering to travel around the globe). What I have noticed is that the PCs and screens at internet cafes are really bad for multitabling so I think it is necessary to bring your own laptop (with min 1600x1200 and built-in WIFI-card).