Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 02:02 PM

Default >10% PFR. How do you manage it?

Over the last few weeks I've been working on many aspects of my game where I needed a lot of work. The 2 big and most basic things that a few 2+2r's recommended were to tighten up more preflop and raise more preflop. Ok. Easy enough. The first one wasn't a problem since I was already almost there. I've tighten up so my VP$P is 27-28%. The next part wasn't so easy.

My PFR before all this was 8-9% which worked well enough for me. But there are so many times when someone posts a hand that the adice is "raise preflop" or "raise MORE preflop." The advice given directly to me was that I need to be doing more of this because 8-9% ain't gonna cut it at levels higher than 2/4NL.

So I tried that. I turned up the heat preflop. Over my last 10,000 hands I was raising in the neighborhood of 13-15% (overall avg) preflop. It didn't work for me. After all this time, I'm in the red for ~3bb/100 according to PT and I think this change is a big part of the problem.

Here's when I used to raise with marginal hands(not exactly but here is a general idea for illustration):
-Fold or 1 limper to me on the button and raise 4xBB with any decent holding (from Q8o, suited connectors, any 2 broadway, any suited ace)
-Fold to me in the CO and do the same yet not quite as often and range is a BIT tighter (Q8, J9, low suited aces get folded, etc but suited connecters and gappers and any 2 broadway or A9 and above get raised)
-MP: J10s, Q10s, medium pairs and better hands get raised. Low suited connectors get limped.
-EP: Q10-type hands in the muck, SC's and med-small pp's get limped, only raising with AQ or better.

NOW...

It's pretty much raise in any situation that I can find:
-SC's get raised (at times) UTG and almost always from MP
-CO and button: raise at will
-MP: folded to me, I raise with any decent holding

Basically, my preflop raising standards from MP/EP are what they used to be from the button/CO and my button/CO PFR standards are even lower (any 2 cards).

Now this isn't exactly how it works every time. I do adjust to table situations (how often have I been raising RECENTLY, how my opponents perceive me, loosey-goosies or tighties in the blinds, etc). But the above should give you a good idea of what my 2 situations are like.

This is starting to get way too long so I'll cut it off right here. I'd like to hear the thoughts or advice from players who are able to successfully manage this style of play. If I want to beat the bigger games, I think I have manage this style better.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: >10% PFR. How do you manage it?

I am currently struggling with this as well. Hopefully some people chime in.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:10 PM

6-max or full ring?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:17 PM

6max..meant to include that.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:26 PM

fwiw my vpip is like 22/23. I know others that play tighter, I think you could still probably afford to tighten up in 6max and make some more money, all it does is just prevents you from the iffy decisions postflop and more often than not when you find yourself in a mediocre hand you often have position which is well worth it...
Old 09-27-2005, 02:44 PM

just steal with alot of different hands when folded to you, I rarely dont miss a chance to assult the blinds. also very important and this is stuff people say for live games, but i find it correlates very much so with online, is that the most important players to have a read on are the guys directly on your left and one over...
Old 09-27-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also very important and this is stuff people say for live games, but i find it correlates very much so with online, is that the most important players to have a read on are the guys directly on your left and one over...

[/ QUOTE ]

... and the guys directly to your right, and one over. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also very important and this is stuff people say for live games, but i find it correlates very much so with online, is that the most important players to have a read on are the guys directly on your left and one over...

[/ QUOTE ]

... and the guys directly to your right, and one over. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, not as important. but yeah, at 6max, that means pretty much everyone [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 07:56 PM

Are you raising every pair UTG?

Raise ATo and A9s and higher from UTG too.

Work from there.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:58 PM

also if the first two spots fold, I generally open raise with Axs, Axo, Kxs, pairs, suited connectors, 1 gappers, XX (x>T) and anything else if I haven't played in a while. This is for when tables are really tight. That should drive your pfr way up.