Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Reraise AK

I usually call raises early on in an MTT, this helps me disguise my hand, but this hand made me think I need to use a reraise to better ascertain where I am.

I don't have the actual HH, but it is the first hand of a PP109MTT.

UTG raises to 85, UTG+1 calls, I, in MP, call with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], everyone else folds.

Flop: AT8r

UTG bets out 100, UTG+1 goes all in. Hero ????
Old 12-13-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Reraise AK

There's no rebuy right? Then fold.

If it was rebuy call.

What do you expect to beat that is doing that? First hand, no read you have to give him credit.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you expect to beat that is doing that?

[/ QUOTE ]

AQ and AJ?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:47 AM

It wasn't a rebuy. I did fold. I was more interested in whether you'd normally reraise and how much. UTG thought about it for a while & called; anyone want to have a stab at the hands?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:55 AM

The CB is showing weakness to me, I think UTG+1 can push with a wide range of hands. Most of them you beat. Ofcourse you can run into a set or two pair every once in a while, but would you play it this way? I think not, so I advocate a call here.

Was there a spade on the flop? If so then I like a call even more.

This is one of those "Do you want to risk your tournament on the first hand" kind of situations *blegh*.

Edit: And yes, I would RR this PF, but I like to do it like Harrington with a percentage of calls and RR most of the time.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone want to have a stab at the hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG - AQ
UTG+1 - 88
Old 12-14-2005, 08:20 AM

I understand the flat call but I think with Ace face some sort of raise is required, particularly for this eventuality because if an ace does flop, you have represented it and can be more sure that any show of strength is hands that have you dominated and not vice versa.
There's not enough info to guess what hands these might have and you have no reads on them. I can't understand trips going all in (but you never know) so my best guess would be pocket pair v. A10 or A8. UTG could have struck gold with his chips but my guess is that URG+1 has made two pair.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually call raises early on in an MTT, this helps me disguise my hand...

but it is the first hand of a PP109MTT.

UTG raises to 85, UTG+1 calls, I, in MP, call with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], everyone else folds.

Flop: AT8r

UTG bets out 100, UTG+1 goes all in. Hero ????

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't a rebuy. I did fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, you're probably a lot better at this whole MTT thing than I am. And I'm positive that you probably play more than I do. But the theoretical concept vs. your actions just don't add up.

I know, busting out on the first hand sucks. But by design you've given no indication of your true strength. Then you hit just the flop you're looking for and fold.

Villian1 has 2 cards. Villian2 has any ace, but I can't imagine he'd play 2 pair this was. I think YHIG. Easily.

Back to your question, in the first 2 levels, I reraise/call about 50/50, tending to call more v. EP raises and re-raise more v. later raisers. I'm also more likely to reraise AKs and call AKo.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:27 AM

On the first hand of the tournament, I think this is a pretty easy call on the flop. This guy is an unknown who just cold called an EP raise then pushed the flop. So he has A) a monster, B) he's overplaying something like AQ or AJ, C) he is a maniac. I think the fact that this is the first hand makes it more likely that it is B or C, if that makes sense.

Preflop I think a reraise is OK, but it's not really for information or to find out where I am. It's b/c I think I have the best hand, for the same reasons as above. I mean are you folding if you reraise and UTG pushes?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:34 AM

UTG showed A6 (go figure), UTG+1 showed T8 (go figure).