Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 08:32 AM

Default 98s SB - 5/10 hand

Wasn't played by me, I just witnessed it and wondered what lines you guys may take on a tricky hand.

<font color="green">
Reads As i say, i never played it so can't comment on actual reads.

PT stats indicate: 35/2.4 over 108 Hands.
</font>

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ....

Bet Fold?
Check Call to showdown?

River is a: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for arguements sake,
What do you do on the river if you check call the turn?
What do you do on the river if you Bet/Fold(And villan just called you) on the turn?

Cheers.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Re: 98s SB - 5/10 hand

Read-dependent. Bet/fold is not a bad idea. Problem is that I expect a better hand if called and have to call a river bet.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:10 AM

Hmmmmmmm, cool hand. I think a donk might be good here. He's only raising hands that beat us, folding a *few* hands sometimes that beat us (9 better kicker), pp are calling us down as are kings.

I think I donk this.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:54 AM

I think I check/fold. If he checks the turn, I check/call the river. The 7 was a bad card as it kills 3 of our outs against a King. Some read on the BB's postflop aggression would be nice, but my default play here is to give this up. Too weak? A donk here will usually just get us called by any hand that doesn't have a 7.

Against the right opponent a turn check/raise could be very sexy.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:57 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

c/c turn, c/f river. The 10 really sucks for our hand and usually people will give up on the river. It would be very rare that this player will bet river with a worse hand. I can understand b/f, but that may lead u to put two bets in on the T and R, which I don't want to do (I assume c/c river, if u can c/f river, then i don't mind it so much, but it would be a really odd line and u'll get less respect later on, which u want with somebody who has position on u). Also, when u b/f the turn, he may call with A9 or a hand that splits, but fold hands that are drawing slim. He will almost always bet the turn, so he will charge himself if he is behind.

A blank river is more interesting. I think i still c/f.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmmmm, cool hand. I think a donk might be good here. He's only raising hands that beat us, folding a *few* hands sometimes that beat us (9 better kicker), pp are calling us down as are kings.

I think I donk this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only A9 is beating us, the rest split. I think he will fold a 9 never.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:38 PM

I would 3-bet the flop. I'm not folding this hand without a very strong read.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:56 PM

wow nice hand to post pokherhard

these blind battles are harder than hell to play without reads, people will just go apeshit and I like to get to showdown with a decent hand.

it's a dry board, but he could be playing back at us with another 9 or bottom pair, pocket pair, or even A decent kicker.

I think I'd mix this up between bet/fold and check/call and will tend to favor lines that have an increased likelihood of showing down.

to digress a bit.. I can't remember where but I was reading about reads once and the writer suggested not trying to get reads on the whole table, but first to watch the guy on your right, get a feel for him; then the guy on your left; then the guy two to your right, and keep working out. the idea being you'll get better info if you concentrate on just one or two people, and these are the people you are usually playing against anyways (pareto principle aka 80/20 rule).
Old 12-06-2005, 03:07 PM

Unless you have a read that he is in love with the free card play, I would expect him to take a free turn with a worse hand approximately never. He wants to get the fold. That's why people raise this flop with weak hands.

So what is the value of bet-folding? You have outs even versus a seven so getting raised is a real cost even if you are never bluffed off the pot.

I count nine straight draws on this flop and the T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] completes seven of them. We could go home now. I really don't see the advantage of calling the river against most players. Too many kings, sevens, and other hands bombing us and not enough hands that we beat to make up for it. I don't see him pushing small pockets and chopping nines very often in this situation.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you have a read that he is in love with the free card play, I would expect him to take a free turn with a worse hand approximately never. He wants to get the fold. That's why people raise this flop with weak hands.

So what is the value of bet-folding? You have outs even versus a seven so getting raised is a real cost even if you are never bluffed off the pot.

I count nine straight draws on this flop and the T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] completes seven of them. We could go home now. I really don't see the advantage of calling the river against most players. Too many kings, sevens, and other hands bombing us and not enough hands that we beat to make up for it. I don't see him pushing small pockets and chopping nines very often in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is this a vote for c/c, c/f river? Blank river, u also folding? I think i would vs. this opponent.