Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 01:34 PM

Default GOOD NEWS!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mlb/index.html

Kaplar may be coming back!
[ QUOTE ]
The Red Sox are attempting to finalize details of an agreement with Japan's Yomiuri Giants that would allow outfielder Gabe Kapler to return to Boston.
--Boston Globe

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-08-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: GOOD NEWS!

Heres the original url from the Globe.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...xtras/thebuzz/

Also there is some news on there of a possible Payton for the A's Chad Bradford.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:33 PM

<font color="black">Foulke on WEEI with Michael Holley &amp; John Valentin </font>

Played new Foulke entrance music (something with country boy in the title).

Holley: What’s up with the new theme song?

KF: Listen to the words and you’ll understand. It’s classic Hank Williams. They’re not going to make me run no matter what happens.

MH: Keith, it’s good to have you back. John Valentin is here and he wants you to know he was 1-5 against you.

KF: Laughs

JV: Congratulations. You did a great job last year. You deserve a lot of props. You came in here with high expectations. We talked a while back about the media and fan's expectations and you did a great job.

KF: Thanks. Hope we can get back there again.

JV: You still have that hockey mentality. Always want to take the ball and you should be recognized for that.

KF: I’m always going to battle. As bad as I want to pitch, I wasn’t helping the team. Mentally it was starting to break me down a bit.

JV: Your velocity is down a bit. Fastball isn’t beating guys. Location is missing. I commend you for still having the bulldog mentality.

KF: It got to the point where I’ve been working on mechanics all summer. Wasn’t working keeping my lower half strong. It affected my velocity. Let’s try to fix this and come back for a couple of months strong.

MH: Did Tito initiate talk of the knee?

KF: We talk a lot. It was at the point where I couldn’t consistently help the team. I was thinking how will I screw this thing up? Something that as a player in this organization, we talk about this stuff (health) in spring training. I felt strong. I was ready to go through it. Looking back, I wish I had done it earlier.

MH: How long has your knee been bothering you?

KF: Long enough that I can’t remember. I got used to it. ‘02 is when it started bothering me. We just couldn’t keep doing it. I couldn’t really help the team any more. Physically it was hard and mentally I couldn’t do it anymore. I go out there with a tough mentality and it was getting harder and harder to forget the previous day.

MH: After the scope, we hear out 4-6 weeks? Could it be sooner?

KF: Dr. Gill explained what he did but I was still groggy. Rehab begins today at 1:30. Will know later today what the doctor actually did.

MH on Curt:

What’s your thought on Curt’s new role?

KF: He’s a pitcher. He can definitely pitch in the back half of the pen. He can set up. He can close no problem. Question is, how long? How your body recovers is important.

MH: Have you spoken to Curt?

KF: No.

MH asked for response to Johnny Damon’s remarks:

KF: (Long hesitation) Didn’t hear what JD said. (MH offered up some of JD's comments). There are guys who can definitely get the job done down there. I’m not saying CS doesn’t have the mentality to do it.

MH: Are you concerned about him being successful? Would it bother you?

KF: Not at all. I want the team to win. It doesn’t matter. If they’re better off without me me, I’ll do whatever.

JV: Come on, you know you’ll go back to being the closer.

KF: No doubt the future has CS in the rotation. He’s one of the best in baseball. My point is still that I’ll do whatever needs to be done. We want to go out and win another WS. If we do this now (scope), we have the AS break. I should be back by mid-Aug the latest. Lots of business to be taken care of.

MH: Now that you had surgery, would you say you had an excuse, that you were affected by injury?

KF: No way to tell. I never got in sync. Just one small stretch. Right knee also needs it done but I can’t recover from both this season. I have to go out there and battle. Left will hopefully make the right knee stronger.

MH: There’s a story about guys being upset at Tito for AS game. Tito should have found a way. Did you pick up on that?

KF: Those 2 guys deserved to make the game. Mike is getting long in the tooth. He’s the ultimate professional. Never complains. So supportive. Deserves to be an AS. Matt’s numbers. Held the team together without Curt. Lots of things Terry is dealing with. League has taking over a lot of the responsibility. Having one guy from every team needs to be eliminated. Not a whole lot he can do. He talked to us and was pretty emotionally. I’d love to buy Timlin a slot. You never know, maybe it’ll still happen.

MH: You don’t like the every team must be represented rule.

KF: You’re one of the 32 best in the league. Your team isn’t one of the best in the league but you get a player on the team. It’s just not right. Should be the best of the best

MH: What’s Terry’s status in the clubhouse? There’s a story that Payton’s going to Oakland. Story is he got in to a shouting match with Tito and Mills in TX. Does Terry have respect in the clubhouse.?

KF: 100%. We have a philosophy. Do certain things a certain way. It’s hard for Jay to platoon. I hate to hear teammates go through stuff like that I hope we’ll be a better team because of it. Regarding Bradford: “I’m pretty good friends with Chad. Another country boy coming to town. I played with him in Oakland. (Back to his new theme song) Listen, you’ll know what I’m talking about. Fans/media don’t like me but I’m not going to run away.

MH: Would you do anything differently regarding your relationship with the fans and media?

KF: What I said, if you know me as a person, you’d understand that. If they put the entire story in the paper, it wouldn’t have been that bad. People think we think we’re better than them. That’s not true. We just have a different job. I don’t put myself above anybody I just have a sense of humor.

JV: Looking back on it, would you have still come to Boston knowing what you know now?

KF: Oh yeah. Boston is my favorite place I’ve ever played. Chicago was easy to play but it’s not Boston. I don’t want to play any place else. A couple more years here. Couple more championships. I was trying to have fun last week. Boo me and I won’t invite you to my world series party. Hands down fans are the best. Fans boo because they care. I‘m not going anywhere unless they get rid of me. Bottom line, I’m still a regular person and want to see the team win.

MH: Did you watch the game last night?

KF: It’s hard. This is my first time on the DL. Hard to watch TV. Don’t like that I’m not there. It sucks.

MH: Manny, Rent, Tek didn’t play. Surprised?

KF: Look at whole picture. When did they get in? I heard close to 6:00. One of those deals people need to realize. 162 games is a long season. If they need to rest guys to make them stronger the next 3 games. Sometime you need days off. You need to play guys on the bench to keep them strong. People need to understand that. This is what the team needs to do to win a WS. It’s hard for people but everything happens for a reason. Accept it as a positive, not a negative

MH: Well, the AS break is coming up

KF. Ever played in TX? Just go stand in your oven. You don’t see it on TV but it’s 92 after the sun goes down. 3 days in TX followed by getting to a city at dawn. It’s tough. Maybe you give guys off. Maybe you should just support it.

MH: That’s not very good for radio

KF: The way some of the people on your station bash me. People bag on me. It makes me laugh. One person told me one of the other shows people were getting on me pretty good.

MH: Don’t trust reporters. Don’t believe everything you read.

KF: We should have John on here every week. A player on the inside to keep everything level.

MH: Have you been told what to expect today (therapy).

KF: I’m walking around yesterday thinking the doctor didn’t do anything. I might be back by the end of the weekend. I woke up today and had to send someone to the car to get my cane.

MH: Enjoy rehab.

Couple of points:

1) Foulke sounded like a new man. Say what you want about how much these guys make and how they should deal with boos and the media, but the fact is most fans are uninformed (or morons, the ones who boo thier own players after a bad performance) and the media has to be a burden. I want to punch the radio twice a day listening to them spout misinformation and half truths, i can only imagine what its like dealing with them face to face.

2) looks like Bradford is the guy for Payton. Mike Myers from the right side basically. Oh well, Payton didnt want to be here and they get a guy who has experiance and is good against RH.

3)Media sucks
Old 07-13-2005, 06:20 PM

Bradford trade is official
Old 07-13-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Sox Bullpen Questions

[ QUOTE ]

-Guardado is fine, but I'd rather have Wagner or Benitez.

[/ QUOTE ]
Benitez has been injured since April
Old 07-23-2005, 03:27 PM

Apparently Craig Hansen has been signed. Details forthcoming......
Old 07-24-2005, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently Craig Hansen has been signed. Details forthcoming......

[/ QUOTE ]

Hansen
Old 07-25-2005, 08:33 PM

Manny Delcarmen called up (or will be tomorrow) here are his numbers this year and scouting report:

AAA

9 IP's 12 K's 4 BB 0 HR

AA
39 IP's 49 k's 20 BB 3 HR

[ QUOTE ]
Scouting Report: Boston native always dreamed of playing for the Sox. His career was on the fast track with a mid 90s fastball, and a great curveball - until he injured himself in May 2003. Delcarmen had Tommy John surgery in May 2003, but returned to the mound a year later in May 2004. Post-surgery, Delcarmen's fastball may have actually gained velocity, as he has topped out in the high 90s. Delcarmen has average control, with decent changeup and a very good curve which he uses as his out pitch. Delcarmen's father played in the Phillies Organization.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source

EDIT: God I hope Halama is gone.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:32 PM

didnt want to start a new thread but am frustrated. Nixon has to be the worst baserunner ever. Lousy President too.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
didnt want to start a new thread but am frustrated. Nixon has to be the worst baserunner ever. Lousy President too.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was bad luck, but yes he is horrendous.