Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Help

I play a 60 buyin .50/1 game twice a week at college. Now I used to do extremely well, destroying lots of loose passive players by isolating and taking pots down on the flop. I am a very TAG player in these games. Unfortunately, the game has been changed recently. Players are calling wtih any two "connecting" cards (T8, 35, 58) not even suited for bets up to about 7-8 bb. Only about 3 of the players do this. The rest of the table has seem to tighten up significantly because of this. Now out of these 3 players, only one will make moves at pots without a hand postflop. He will never reraise, but he will keep caling with any draw(to any size bet), and call with any pair as long as an A or K does not hit the board. This is very annoying because I raise with obviously high cards like AK AQ AJ, etc. And this player unfortunately always sits behind me. Usually I bet out the flop against him if I missed the flop and if he calls, I give it up. However, he would bet draws that he hasen't hit yet on the turn, and that gives me big trouble cuz i have to laydown the best hand (AK). I used to just raise 3x bb or 4x bb with hands, but after noticing that they will still call, I bumped my raises to 7x bb so I can get more money in the pot when I have the best hand. When I am getting called by 3 fishes, I feel like I'm getting schooled. And unfortunately, I miss too often. How should I play preflop and postflop in these types of games?
Old 05-04-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Help

Wow, I wish I had players calling 7bb every time I raised. If they're calling with virtually any two cards and aren't respecting your raises, it would seem futile to try a bluff.

That said, you could probably stick to solid hands, wait for them to hit on the flop and bet for value.

On the other hand, it also sounds like when you raise, they automatically put you on high cards. An occasional raise w/ small connectors could force them to give you credit for a wider range of hands--that is, of course, if they're paying any sort of attention. How many players at the table and how often are you raising?

Either way, I want to play in your game. It sounds like easy money; you may just be running bad.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:45 PM

Wow! Where is this game? Let me in!!

"He will never reraise, ... "

Cool! That means small blocking bets whenever you are on a draw.

"... but he will keep caling with any draw(to any size bet), and call with any pair as long as an A or K does not hit the board. This is very annoying because "

Ok, you've got to start playing more than just AK preflop. Play any two paint cards, and A9 and A8 out of position, down to some real junk with position. When you hit TPGK or two pair, bet away. Sure, this is higher variance, because you will sometimes see a better hand, but since they will call you down with a lot worse and won't raise with better, you make a lot more than you lose.

Oh yeah, quit bluffing your AK when it misses. This is your biggest leak, I'll bet. Remember, bluffing is your tactic when against good players. Against calling stations, wait till you make a hand and then bring the hammer down.

"I bumped my raises to 7x bb so I can get more money in the pot when I have the best hand. When I am getting called by 3 fishes, I feel like I'm getting schooled."

You are getting schooled. The effect of this is that you can't make your money preflop like you are used to -- but it is a lot easier to make money postflop. So mix it up -- occasionally just limp with AK/AQ. Or raise just enough to get the tighties out but leave the fish, then just check/fold when you miss. There is no shame in folding after you raised preflop. Remember, they are still eager to give you their money after the flop, just be patient until you have a hand that will win against most of the crap they show down.

The bottom line: Looser and somewhat more passive preflop, more tight aggressive postflop, and NO BLUFFING! The looser/more passive preflop is easily justified by your increased implied odds. When you flop two pair with your 79s, you know they will call you down with their 78, drawing nearly dead.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2005, 04:49 PM

O this is a ten person table, and against the other tighties, I am so much better. Thats why when these guys came in, they kind of offset the tempo for me and I was lost, haha. What range of hands should I play preflop? The fish behind me does make bluffs when checked to him and does raise preflop quite a bit with anything. (T9, A7 type hands) And thanks for your help
Old 05-04-2005, 06:10 PM

Default AddingOn

O yea, my big blind does get straddled a lot and restraddled, leaving a normal raise preflop to about 12 bbs or more, giving me absolutely no set value with pps, but for a normal raise like this from a loose preflop raise player, can i really throw away 6s or 7s like this? my stack is only about 50 bbs.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Re: AddingOn

First, you have to invite Zag and me to your game.

Second, Zag pretty much hit it on the head. "Looser and somewhat more passive preflop, more tight aggressive postflop, and NO BLUFFING!" Another line of thought is, if these guys aren't paying attention (as it sounds), you could just wait for cinch hands and take it down then. If pots are consistently raised to nice, juicy sizes, you wouldn't necessarily need to play 97. But whatever you do, do not bluff.

I'd like to hear about how you did the next time you play, if these changes help your game. When you start taking everyone's money, you know you're doing it right.