Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Rose-Colored Glasses..........

The whole issue of labeling anyone’s political views (in toto) baffles me.

Most of us who post here pretend to be poker players.

Good poker players understand that +EV is gained by ‘making good decisions’, not by sticking to one broad-based platform that attempts to deal with all specifics by embracing a ‘one size fits all’ strategy.

Making good decisions is fundamentally based upon analyzing and understanding the dynamics of each particular hand one participates in, so that the best decision for that hand can be made.

Why is it that in this forum here on 2+2 we can so easily depart from this discipline when the subject is politics?

Is it instinct that causes us to revert to some sort of tribalistic credo where our overwhelming need to belong to part of a larger group precedes our common sense?

Do we, as individuals, have some sort of overwhelming need for security of numbers that support our position that overrides the discipline of examining each and every issue on its’ own merit?

As I’m writing this, and thinking about it, perhaps that explains why most poker players are –EV?

Perhaps most of us simply cannot get away from the faulty thinking processes that have been so thoroughly ingrained in us since childhood?

I can’t help but wonder that if each of us could look at some of these issues, without viewing it through our own ‘rose-colored’ political ideological eyeglasses, that all of us might be much better off.