Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 06:34 PM

Default HGIYLHE Question on Hand 4

For those who have this book, perhaps you could comment on the river play in Hand 4. If it is recommended to check/call here, why would it not be better to bet/fold instead? Seems like we can be pretty sure the villain will bet if we check, and that we are likely beat...but either way it costs us 1 bet.

However, it seems to me like villain might fold even two pair (assuming he has AA88 with a better kicker) if we bet. We c/r on the flop and 3-bet the turn...he could be very well convinced we have the 8, no?

[Sorry if this post belongs in the Books and Pubs forum, but I figured if I have questions about playing the actual hands, it would be best to post it here.]
Old 12-27-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: HGIYLHE Question on Hand 4

post the hand so we know what you are talking about...
Old 12-27-2005, 09:42 PM

Wouldn't there be a copyright issue if I post the entire example? The book is in quiz format using a somewhat limited number of hands, so doing so would represent a significant portion of the book's content.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:44 PM

dude, i don't know about copyright law...but if nobody knows the hand then nobody can help you out...

lets be sneaky...make a new post and just post the hand like a normal hand...
Old 12-29-2005, 07:00 PM

Okay, I'll outline the action on Hand 4. However, let me point out that the hand as played is not necessarily considered the best play on each street. An excellent discussion on the hand as played, as well as alternative strategies and hypothetical situations, is presented in the book...which you should buy, because it's got some great stuff in it.

Hero is BB with A6 spades

Loose player in middle possition limps, TAG in the cut-off raises, hero and the limper call...3 players.

Flop 8 clubs, 6 diamond, 3 spade

Hero checks, limper checks, TAG bets, you raise, limper folds, TAG calls

Turn A hearts

Hero bets, TAG raises, Hero 3 bets, TAG calls

River 8 hearts

Hero checks, TAG bets, Hero calls

Back to my original question...why would this not be a good place to bet the river and fold if raised instead of checking and calling, as is recommended? Seems to me like TAG might put Hero on an A8...or at least an 8...