Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 05:21 PM

Default How to play AKo with 2 overs and a flush draw...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

BB ($9.95)
Hero ($22.25)
MP ($32.90)
Button ($36.50)
SB ($5)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, MP calls $1.50.

Flop: ($5.35) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $19.75</font>, MP calls $16.75.

Turn: ($44.85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($44.85) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $44.85

Is there a better way to attack this, in terms of EV?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: How to play AKo with 2 overs and a flush draw...

I really don't like LRR with AKo, even 5-handed. As played, I suppose it's alright, but I don't expect your overcard outs to be good.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:29 PM

Do you think he gives me credit for overpair in that situation?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:29 PM

This seems more like something Id do in a tourney. I call here and see what the turn brings. LRR I dont like in general, but if its your style, then go with it, but id try to avoid it.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:30 PM

I think if you are going to Limp then re-raise, your re-raise needs to be larger i'd have at east gone to 4 or 5 bucks. Other than that I would do the same re-raise all in on the flop/
Old 12-12-2005, 05:30 PM

Lead the flop for a full pot. If called, slow down until your hand improves. If raised, assess pot odds, assume ~11-12 outs (hopefully at least one overcard is live, but could be neither or both).
Old 12-12-2005, 05:44 PM

Can't tell if that would have pushed him off it? He had JdJc...
Old 12-12-2005, 06:34 PM

This is a really strange play; limp RR with AKo in EP is a bad play IMO, unless you're simply mixing it up for observant opponents. I would lead the flop, regardless of PF action and if raised, then you have to assess your odds because it's unlikely that you're going to get the villian to lay it down. At this point, it's strictly numbers (and your overcards are hardly ever good; in addition, he may have a set and you need the board to bring a club that wont' pair).
Old 12-13-2005, 02:04 AM

The thing is, I was playing LAG at that point, I bought in for 10 and doubled up stealing pots, and then being called down by an underpair with top pair. Table was tight, and I was relatively loose with preflop raises. The limp was to switch up my play, and on the flop I figure I can either semibluff at a 3 dollar pot or C/R and semibluff a 5-6 dollar pot. Either way, I had him on 88-QQ, maybe AQ, althought I think QQ probably would have re-reraised preflop. In that case, roughly 33% of the time he's got a set, 33% TPTK, 33% pocket pair lower than Q. I think he lays down 50% of the time in that hand range, although he called with JJ which I would have expected him to lay down.