Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 12:59 AM

Default using tells at the table

i am reading mike caro's book of tells .. and it seems that the book says that this tell always means this and that tell always mean that ..... for ex. he says that a fast bet is usually not a bluff ... but then i read an article that says a quick bet is a bluff and a timed bet is not ... does anyone have any opinions on the subject of tells
Old 12-01-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: using tells at the table

Use common sense. Caro says a fast bet isn't a bluff because it takes time to decide to run a bluff. If it's a situation where some guy raised the button, got called, and the flop comes AAT and it's checked to him, it doesn't require any thought to bet, and the tell's no good.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:01 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
and it seems that the book says that this tell always means this and that tell always mean that ....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember the book using the word always. In fact I believe he states that tells can mean quite the opposite from one player to another.

1st rule of tell play is to determine if the opponent is acting or not. Then adjust accordingly if it's actually a tell.

Betspeed can be a great tell. It's very common especially on lower limits. Many times these players arent bluffing. They aren't sophisticated enough to do something off without making it obvious. They are betting quicker because they are excited. Especially when they seem like they are hardly even thinking. They just can't wait to jam it when they have the goods.

Study your own betspeed in certain types of situations and find the root of why you're feeling like 'betting' that way. Then you can understand more of why others bet the way they do.

You can also use betspeed as a reverse tell that works quite well on lower limits in certain spots.

b
Old 12-01-2005, 08:03 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Caro says a fast bet isn't a bluff because it takes time to decide to run a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you've planned ahead for possible bluff cards/boards on the prior street(s).

b