Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Pocket 3s, how many mistakes did I make?

Disclaimer: forgive me if this post is not very adequate. Still learning here.

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

I know 33 is not a strong hand in EP, but there were plenty of overly loose players on this table and I figured it was safe to play up front. If I don't hit, I fold to significan action.

Flop: (24.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Ok, I catch my set. I figured the BB player to my right had hit the Q but that my set was a significan favorite. I also thought that the 2 flush was enough to pump the pot to make it expensive to keep at it. At this time, the pot is pretty large, so most people are not going anywhere though.

Turn: (20.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

The MP1 player is very loose as is the button. I don't put them on the straight as the preflop betting would keep me from putting them on that type of hand.

River: (34.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls $0.03 (All-In), Button folds.

With 4 to the straight on the board, I backed off a little as any 5 kills my hand now.

Final Pot: 37 BB

Any thoughts as to better way to play this? I assume just fold up front and not even play it.

Hindsight is 20/20 right? lol.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Pocket 3s, how many mistakes did I make?

With players as loose as these, limping w/ 33 EP is probably fine. You are correct that you are probably beat when it gets capped on the turn, but having to call 2 getting 15-1 on the turn gives you odd to fill up and beat the probable straights. I'd be a little worried about calling the river (since typically you would get squeezed), but since MP1 was outta money, and it only cost you one then it's an easy call getting such ridiculous odds (you only need to be right 3% of the time here.)
Old 07-05-2005, 07:50 PM

If you knew it was going to be capped preflop, you would fold, but at each instance, you were correct to call.

On the flop, I might just raise off the bat. The frush draws are going to call, as are weak Qs, OESDs, and probably some garbage, too. The rest is perfect.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 PM

I assume by your last comment that you lost the hand [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Pre-flop was fine, you still want to be playing PP. If the pot were smaller, I'd like your flop line, since you don't want to blow people out of the hand. But, since the pot is already huge, I don't think you'll lose anyone raising the flop instead of calling the first time. Fortunately, you got it capped, anyway. In general, the reason that you play the low PP in a crowded pot is to flop a set, and if you do, you should generally play it fast, especially when the pot is already big.

On the turn, you've got to raise, and yeah, it's probably time to worry when it gets capped, but I think you've got to play this one out. On the river, I don't think you're getting beat by a 5, given how the earlier action went, but I'm not sure I can find a raise against BB here, given how he's played the hand. I hope for his sake he showed QQ.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 PM

It sounds from your tone you lost the pot.

I play this exactly the same, and expect to see QQ from the BB a lot.

Still, you only need to be good about around 3% to call the last bet.

Nice hand anyway.

Rich
Old 07-05-2005, 07:59 PM

Yeah I'd raise the flop the first time it got to you, but after that everything looks fine. Preflop I ditch 33 in this spot on some tables and play on others, its all read based.

MP1 has AA or 44? (limp-cap is weird, but you see that at low limits because people are just capping it early because it is going to be capped anyways)
BB has QQ? (The only other range of his cards I could think would be KK or AA, but they slow down usually, or a really overplayed AQ (which seems unlikely))
Old 07-05-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds from your tone you lost the pot.

I play this exactly the same, and expect to see QQ from the BB a lot.

Still, you only need to be good about around 3% to call the last bet.

Nice hand anyway.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

As a matter of fact, it was QQ by the BB. I did lose the hand and was saddend by it to a point, but overall, I don't think I played it that badly.