Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 10:06 AM

Default All in reraise to QQ?

This was a $50 NL Multi Table Tourney yesterday on Party. 280 players started - 30 get paid - top prize about $4500. After an hour my 1000 chips are up to 2595. 128 players are still in and average stack is 2188. I'm playing well - tight aggressive - taking advantage of position - so far so good. A couple hands into the second hour it's folded to my QQ in the #3 spot. I raise 3.5X BB (about 300 chips) and it's folded to the small blind who goes all in. The small blind is very loose but not particularly aggressive - overall a weak player. My opponent has about 2000 chips so I'm still alive, but low, if I lose. I figure, if I win I'm one of the chip leaders and in great shape to dominate the table and make a great run run at first place. I figure I'm either a coin flip with an AK or dominated by AA, KK. Do I call?

I did call, he had AK and hit an A. This is just a side point though, I am wondering if a lay down is the correct play.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: All in reraise to QQ?

[ QUOTE ]
I did call, he had AK

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll generally get better responses if you don't post results in your original post.

[ QUOTE ]
and hit an A

[/ QUOTE ]

this is completely irrelevant and should never have been posted. it also makes you look like you're whining about a bad beat.

[ QUOTE ]
I raise 3.5X BB (about 300 chips)

[/ QUOTE ]

i assume you mean it's 50/100? this is much more important than things like the average stack size.

[ QUOTE ]
I figure I'm either a coin flip with an AK or dominated by AA, KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you believe villian will push AA/KK/AK every time and never with anything else, you're risking 1700 to win a total of 4100, so you need to win ~41% to justify a call. you're 20% 12 times and 55% 16 times, which works out to 40% to win. so if that's your read, you should fold. however, realistically, AK will push almost every time (i think), where AA/KK are more likely to get cute, and a lot of other hands will push occasionally. so you should call.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:26 AM

Old 05-10-2005, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I will leave the results out next time. I was not whinning though, anything can and will happen in poker!! Thank you for the comment about the AK being more willing to push all in (and lesser hands) than QQ. Maybe a call is the play here.