Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: 2 50-100 hands vs. phil laak

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i may or may not want to recant my previous statement about not liking preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what exactly was your logic there? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

ML4L

[/ QUOTE ]

if its SH 3-6 players or so, raising out of the blinds doesnt give away much about his hand.

if its at all full however, I dont love the idea of raising an excellent/agg. player there with AK bc you are narrowing down your range of hands pretty good, unless rbk raises from the blinds a lot, but i doubt it.

edit: the more I think about it, I do agree with the raise, but i wouldnt do it everytime.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:41 PM

I just want to know if he acts like a 12 year old when hes not on TV.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:33 PM

ok there have been a ton of valuable replies and i'm going to try and give some feedback here but if i left you out feel free to let me know.

fsu, the game was shorthanded, i think 4 or 5.

and i think it was turnipmonster that asked about my image at the table.

i've played w/ phil quite a few times and i think he views me as a pretty aggressive player who isn't afraid to mix it up (ie: bluff, semi-bluff), and while he knows i am a winning player, he doesn't seem to mind playing pots with me and seems to like to call my raises in position.

when i'm playing in a game with really deep stacks against observant opponents i try and mix up my game as much as possible, so i rarely take one line consistently through the night.

i am just as likely to be check-raising the turn with a total bluff as i am with a monster. when playing in this game if you can't do both then get up.

as for the second hand he literally beat me into the pot with his call, the river bricked off and i check folded to his $4K or $5K bet.

as for the jumping around and shadow boxing thing, i definately think he was trying to play it up for the cameras in the hopes of making a name for himself, which he did.

at the tables he is always a good sport. he's a real quality individual and if he wasn't so damn good at poker i would say its a pleasure to play with him.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:49 AM

agreed
Old 04-29-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Phil plays a little funky sometimes...

...so I find playing hands straight up and fast is the best way againt him most times.

Since he is a "known" poker player he expects people to try to make moves on him and throw a lot of curveballs.

He told me a few weeks ago that since he has been on TV his earn in the cash games have gone way up because of what I just said.

He does some funky ass ish as you probably know. I have seen him just check call with the second to the nuts that was clearly the nuts against that particular player and have seen him make moves in a spot that he just can't represent and then get there.

Also, I have seen him pay off people that I thought was just horrible and then laydown Kings before the flop vs. Aces without spending a cent of his money preflop. The latter being in a private conversation as we know Phil never shows down hands unless he has to.

As for hand 1, I would have just bet 2/3 the pot on every street and take control. Obviously after his flop call, Phil clearly has a hand here, as to how strong of a hand that remains to be seen.

But based on that board, if he calls you on the flop he will likely call you down to the river. You could hope to get lucky in that spot and hope that he has like the 7,8 and attempt to make a move on you on the turn, but the stars are rarely aligned like that.

Your only quandry is, if he indeed did have the 5, you would be kicking yourself because you would probably feel you could have made more.

And he could have the 5, because he comes in with funky hands against bad players because he gets paranoid that someone else will get their money before he does.

An isolation attempt by you against the live one won't work against players like Phil, because they are not thinking about you, they are thinking about them. And to all the posters out there wanting to learn pot odds, implied odds, etc. etc. what I just said is the key to no limit poker.

As for hand 2, I don't like it, I think the flop was the time to make a move, not the turn. The turn looks too much like you are trying to make a move, especially with the two hearts on board. He is too saavy for that.

BTW, Riverboatking, you asked for my name on some post that you responded to a while ago, my name is Jasper.

I have been sick for the past 2 weeks and haven't made it out to Commerce in a while, I had to recover from the all the madness at the Bellagio tournaments.

Are you Armenian? Just asking. I am the late 20ish Korean dude. See you at the Mecca...
Old 04-29-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Phil plays a little funky sometimes...

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, Riverboatking, you asked for my name on some post that you responded to a while ago, my name is Jasper.

I have been sick for the past 2 weeks and haven't made it out to Commerce in a while, I had to recover from the all the madness at the Bellagio tournaments.

Are you Armenian? Just asking. I am the late 20ish Korean dude. See you at the Mecca...

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not armenian, however my good buddy is (and he usually is with me), so sometimes people think that i am.

i'm also in my early 20's, and my name is jonas...if that rings any bells.

if you are who i think you are, i ran into you at bellagio and we talked for a couple minutes. paul was there too.

i'll see you soon.
peace.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:15 PM

hand #1

Just pocket change to me but... -I've not read other responses...

turn check-call is ok if you're going to go for the check raise on the river. The check call screams either strength or that you don't trust your opponent in position. If you had checked the river he could've put you on a wider range of hands and bet with an overpair against your pocket 7's, say. He could've felt he could push you off if you check-call the turn and check out on the river. You made the fold easy for him I think.

You must check-raise either the turn or the river.