Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 12:33 PM

Default deep stack set play 5-10 bike

i have ~5K villian has me covered.
villian is very tight.
he is also steamed at me because he misplayed a hand earlier vs. me and ended up losing a big pot to me (he slowplayed overpair and let me hit a set).

ok.
7 players see the flop for 25 each.
tag along in MP with 66.

flop comes K76 rainbow.
i bet 125, tight player calls, crazy loose player calls (i now have position, villian was the SB, crazy guy was UTG).

turn comes Q still rainbow.
i bet 400, villian CR to 1000.

have at it boys.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: deep stack set play 5-10 bike

he has some sort of two pair.

reraising here lets him get away cheap.

smooth call and push on the river after he bets.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:50 PM

Did the loose player call the c/r or fold?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:00 PM

You think he is calling a push on the river with hands you are ahead of? Does anyone find the thought of playing 1000x BB pot with bottom set sort of a bad idea?

I personally would call the raise and then check behind on the river.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:08 PM

Who did the raising preflop? I assume not villian? I probably call the raise and evaluate the river. Try to see how much he still likes his hand after I called his check-raise. If villian is tight he would reraise KK preflop unless he made the original raise. That being said, I suppose I see two potential hands here assuming the board is rainbow. KQ or 77, anything else? (No way this is AA if he did in fact make the raise preflop, even though I've seen it before) Seems like a great play for 77 to make, check/call flop, raise turn. You must have an aggressive image if he check-raised your turn bet, I would think most sets would lead the turn for fear of it geting checked around. I think this might just be one of those plays where you have to make a read on the river and there is no right or wrong answer. I think reraising the turn is bad though, I can't quite come up with why yet. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can give you a better response...either way I'm interested to hear what happened.

PS: What kind of a raise is 25 with a 5/10 structure, strictly pot building?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You think he is calling a push on the river with hands you are ahead of? Does anyone find the thought of playing 1000x BB pot with bottom set sort of a bad idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

fair 'nuff, i didnt see he was quite that deep.

but... [ QUOTE ]

I personally would call the raise and then check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he checks the river, I aint.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:38 PM

I agree if he checks the river it's a value bet. however I think the chances of him checking the river are very slim.

--turnipmonster
Old 02-14-2005, 01:41 PM

yeah the original raiser and the raise amount were both idiotic. but the villian was not the original raiser.

i do have an aggressive image as i am usually either raising, betting or folding, i don't do a lot of check calling.

the river was a another K making the final board K67QK.

he pushed and i folded.
it was funny because when he smoothcalled my flop bet something in the back of my mind kept saying....i think this guy has a set of sevens, and i almost checked behind on the turn.
then i almost folded to his raise, but it just seemed so dam weak.
the king on the river really bailed me out...i knew he didn't have AK or KK because he would have reraised preflop, but as it was i couldn't beat anything but a bluff....KQ got there and 77 was already there.

so i folded and later the guy who was sitting next to him (they were both filipino) told me that he had said to him, while i was delibirating with my cards face up on the river that "i'm gonna bust this punk, no way he folds"

anyways...i'm not so sure that this post had any real value but i guess i just posted it because it was one of those rare instances where i just felt like i was beat but still couldn't bring myself to fold on the turn because i had a set. i think it also illustrates how much things change when you start getting really deep relative to the blinds.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:43 PM

a lot of important info missing here. would he call 20 bucks with KQ from SB? did a crazy guy raise, and would this make villian more likely to call?

your only worry is 77 and are getting paid by KQ, but it sounds like he won't get frisky with a draw?

--turnipmonster
Old 02-14-2005, 01:58 PM

sorry my post was so lame and lacking relevant info, i just got done with an 18 hour marathon session that saw me go from down 5K to up 3k, so i'm a little bit out of it.
i don't usually play that long up or down, but the game was so full of morons i couldn't leave.
i was playing with a bunch of gus hansen wannabes, and at first they got me good, calling all-ins with crappy draws and getting there,
but luckily the cards broke even in the end.