Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Does anyone here like lobster?

australian rock lobster is DYNOMITE
Old 12-08-2005, 09:58 AM

Love it! And the best thing is I can catch it in my front "yard". But I dont have a licence at the moment...

And Kellys IS the best around for lobster rolls.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:20 AM

To all the lobster fans in Boston,

If you haven't already, you may want to make the hour and a half trek south to the Nordic Lodge:
www.nordiclodge.com
My favorite place to consume lobster and filet by the pound, all-you-can-eat style. However, make sure someone else drives, as the ride home is miserable if you can't recline and unbutton the pants.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:21 AM

I agree, steamed lobster with butter is good, in fact, it is very very good, but steaming (wet heat) really pulls out alot of the lobster flavor.

If you like lobster, try cooking it with dry heat, specifically saute then flambe ala America's test kitchen recipe.

I really love lobster and this is by far my favorite way to prepare it. I will never steam again.

I would just include a link to the site, but you have to be a member and this way is easier. Sorry for the length.

----------from americastestkitchen.com------------
If you want to prepare more than two lobsters, we suggest that you engage some help. This dish requires close attention, and managing multiple extremely hot pans can be tricky. Before flambeing, make sure to roll up long shirtsleeves, tie back long hair, turn off the exhaust fan (otherwise the fan may pull up the flames), and turn off any lit burners (this is critical if you have a gas stove). For equipment, you will need a large ovensafe skillet, oven mitts, a pair of tongs, and long fireplace or grill matches.

Serves 2 2 live lobsters (1 to 2 pounds each)
2 tablespoons peanut oil or canola oil
1/4 cup bourbon or 1/4 cup of cognac
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into 6 pieces
2 medium shallots , minced (about 6 tablespoons)
3 tablespoons dry white wine
1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh chive
Table salt and ground black pepper
1 lemon , cut into wedges (optional)

1. TO QUARTER THE LOBSTERS: Using a large, heavy-duty chef's knife or cleaver, which can easily puncture the hard shell without damage to the blade, center the blade lengthwise on the lobster's upper portion (its head) and give it a sturdy whack with a mallet. Place the blade crosswise behind the lobster's head and split again. Break the claws free from the head and, using a spoon, remove and reserve the green tomalley, if desired. Keep the split lobsters shell-side down. (Don't be put off if the lobsters continue to twitch a little after quartering; it's a reflexive movement.)

2. TO COOK THE LOBSTERS: Adjust an oven rack so it is 6 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler. Heat the peanut oil in a large ovensafe skillet over high heat until smoking. Add the lobster pieces shell-side down in a single layer and cook, without disturbing, until the shells are bright red and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the broiler and cook until the tail meat is just opaque, about 2 minutes.

3. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and return it to the stovetop. Off the heat, pour the bourbon over the lobsters. Wait for 10 seconds, then light a long match and wave it over the skillet until the bourbon ignites. Return the pan to medium-high heat and shake it until the flames subside. Transfer the lobster pieces to a warmed serving bowl and tent with foil to keep warm.

4. TO FINISH THE SAUCE: Using tongs, remove any congealed albumen (white substance) from the skillet and add 2 tablespoons of the butter and the shallots. Cook, stirring constantly, until the shallots are softened and lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomalley and white wine and stir until completely combined. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the tarragon and chives. Stirring constantly, add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter, 1 piece at a time, until fully emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the lobster pieces. Serve immediately, accompanied by the lemon wedges, if desired.

----------------------
Old 12-08-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To all the lobster fans in Boston,

If you haven't already, you may want to make the hour and a half trek south to the Nordic Lodge:
www.nordiclodge.com
My favorite place to consume lobster and filet by the pound, all-you-can-eat style. However, make sure someone else drives, as the ride home is miserable if you can't recline and unbutton the pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow someone else in the world know the Nordic Lodge! I grew up in Barrington RI, so we would hit it at least once a year. Good times!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:28 AM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] lobster, as long as someone else is paying for it.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only had lobster on a few occasions. Seems you have to drown it in butter in order for it to taste good. Plus it's a bitch to eat.. too pricey for what it is. Dunno... more a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the time.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:30 AM

Nectar of the Gods!
My Dad hated it - when he was growing up in the Depression... it was considered food for 'the poor' in Boston - they 'had' to eat all the time!!! Can you imagine! That and lamb was a constant too - which I also adore... but we never had either at home cuz he couldn't stomache it.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer crab

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Lobster is good, but overrated as a food. Crab is the [censored].
Old 12-08-2005, 10:34 AM

As someone who lived around Boston for over 30 years and now lives in RI, the Ocean State has it all over Boston when it comes to food.