Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Mathematical Expectation in tourneys vs. cash games

Dear Forum Members,

I finished reading The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky and have applied his idea of Mathematica Expectations in play, but I find that the "correct" plays based on pot odds and draw odds can't really be adapted to tournament play that effectively because they require a large number of reoccurring episodes to meet the Mathematical Expectation, and tourneys are too short; even if everything happens according to mathematical expectation over the many many tourneys that one plays, the short segments of each tourney is rather random and the ME cannot really be counted upon. Has anyone else found the same problem and have solutions to it??? And will you please share your secrets...

A friend reminded me that in tourneys, survival is most important because you can't win if you bust out; so in all-in situations, ME should be used differently because a 3 to 1 chance of winning means you'll lose 2 time out of 3. But other than all-in situations, how should ME be adjusted for tourney play because of the aforementioned reasons of limited time, limited chips, limited episodes?

Thank you in advance for your comments! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]