Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 07:42 PM

Default playing a set when it\'s obvious you have a set

5/10 NLHE 1k stacks, UTG raises to 30 someone calls, i call in LP with 44. Flop comes A64o. UTG leads out for 50, he is an okay player. Not sure how to get money in here with a set, can't think of any lines where it's not obvious what I have.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: playing a set when it\'s obvious you have a set

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure how to get money in here with a set,

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, if you have any kind of a read on him, that helps to answer, but if you're putting him on an ace/blank, or you think you've got him all but drawing dead, I like the minimum raise here, (assuming he checks the turn)3/4-pot-size-bet the turn, then same size bet the river (if he's gone this far, he'll pay you off another turn-pot-sized-bet). This is, of course, barring any drastic board changes.
In any case, that's how I milk the cow.
Good question, btw. I'm interested to see how other people answer.
Keep playing player.
E
Old 11-17-2004, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, if you have any kind of a read on him, that helps to answer, but if you're putting him on an ace/blank, or you think you've got him all but drawing dead, I like the minimum raise here, (assuming he checks the turn)3/4-pot-size-bet the turn, then same size bet the river (if he's gone this far, he'll pay you off another turn-pot-sized-bet). This is, of course, barring any drastic board changes.
In any case, that's how I milk the cow.
Good question, btw. I'm interested to see how other people answer.
Keep playing player.
E

[/ QUOTE ]

I like not doing this.

scrub
Old 11-17-2004, 07:57 PM

i agree. doesn't the minraise make it even more obvious what he has?
unless you do it a ton, minraise just screams i nailed the flop, please call.
i make a normal raise here hoping he puts me on a worse A than him.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:11 PM

I like min raise for the rep of an Ace. I find mid level players, like the one described, will call with A/9 or better with this lay. He'll want to see another card for the ace alone, so you don't want to run him off, but if you're confident he won't bust you by the river, just milk him down. Obviously this won't work on better players, or aggressive players who will be coming at you anyway, but why chase him off or let him get suspicious of the trap? The min raise is just to keep him committed to the later bets.
I'm not trying to beat anyone with a stick on this play, I'm just trying to wean a little money out of a guy that doesn't want to pay to show down. There are a ton of reasons why you could be betting min raise here, and I like the weak representation for a constant call. He needs two runners to win, so you can give him the first bet for free, but if you raise the turn, he'll probably run there. finessing a little more out of him on the flop tends to keep him in for the long run if he calls there.
Again, that's just my opinion.
If you disagree, that's fine, but say more than "I disagree." I'm interested to hear how other players get the maximum pay off in this situation. Again, good question.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:21 PM

Hey Bruiser,

[ QUOTE ]
5/10 NLHE 1k stacks, UTG raises to 30 someone calls, i call in LP with 44. Flop comes A64o. UTG leads out for 50, he is an okay player. Not sure how to get money in here with a set, can't think of any lines where it's not obvious what I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

If raising the flop here makes it obvious that you have a set, we have a problem...

Raise it up and hope he has AK. If he has KK or something, you probably aren't getting much more anyway unless he thinks you're a nut. So, make maximizing your profits when he has an ace your priority.

ML4L
Old 11-17-2004, 08:31 PM

Heh... ML4l, what else would you raise this flop with?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:40 PM

Hi ML4L,

Have read a lot of your posts and respect your opinion so was wondering what you think of a smooth call here?
There is $140 in the pot (if the MP also calls then $190) and when Bruiser calls $240.
The turn will probably put a flush draw out there and if UTG has TPTK they could try and protect with a pot sized bet.
I can't see how Bruiser would lose money here (UTG could just as easily fold to a flop raise) unless it was a non-ace scare card pairing the board.
A raise on the turn may bring in the MP and UTG may pay off bruiser suspecting the draw or even bluff, as from his posts he has quite a LAG image (no offence Bruiser [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Am I way out? I don't know [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2004, 08:45 PM

I like a flat call here. I'd vary between flat calling and raising your standard amount about 70/30.

As far as raising hands go, I'd be inclined to raise with any two pair, A-K, A-Q, and maybe even a straight draw if I suspected the other guy didn't have an ace, or if I thought he might fold a weak ace ( folding a weak ace would mostly depend on how tight you've been playing ).
Old 11-17-2004, 09:36 PM

Minraising gives away your hand unless you constatntly minraise with hands where your opponent is drawing more live.

If you're minraising enough with holdings where your opponent is drawing live that you're not giving away your hand here, you have bigger problems than how to play a set in this spot.

Raising a set here some of the time is great. Minraising is retarded.

scrub