Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-28-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Q/Q in BB and it comes to me CAPPED!

I have never seen this before.

First hand at the table, so I posted in BB. The only person who looks familiar is pretty stupid, but he was smart enough to stay the hell out of the way here.

Advice on all streets, please.

Full Tilt .50/1 (9-handed)

Preflop: <font color="green">marchron</font> is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 reraises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="green">marchron calls</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

WTF?? New table, so I don't know if it's been like this every hand. How high is the likelihood that I'm up against K/K or A/A here? I'm not folding, but Good Lord.

Flop: (16.5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="green">marchron checks</font>, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="green">marchron checkraises</font>, <font color="#666666">UTG folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

I protected my hand the best I could. I needed to get any A/K to go away. The lack of reraises tells me I'm either not up against A/A or K/K, or whoever has them is playing like a dope.

But here's the question everyone hates: is this one of those "wait for the turn" hands?

Turn: (11 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="green">marchron bets</font>, <font color="#666666">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

I feel safer now.

River: (13 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="green">marchron bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 14.5 BB (after rake)
Old 12-28-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Q/Q in BB and it comes to me CAPPED!

Yes this is a 'wait for the turn' hand unless you are trying to get your opponents to fold backdoor flush/straight draws. Look at the odds you are giving your opponnets with your flop raise.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:46 PM

The pot is huge. You cannot protect your hand well because the worst odds you can give them is 8-1. I think this is more of a bet and pray situation.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:49 PM

*grunch*

I think I play it the same way you did. I must admit I am unclear on the wait for the turn strategy, unless it is to get an extra bet out of AK or AQ or something like that? Or is it an odds thing, facing everyone with 2 BB cold instead of 1 BB that everyone can call with their draws, etc. Although I'm not sure if everyone at .5/1 is aware of all the different odds. I wasn't when I was at that level (not long ago). I guess facing everyone with 2 BB makes sense. I would probably have to add MP2 to my buddy list if he called down with KK or AA [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BBB
Old 12-28-2005, 09:06 PM

I probably play the same way in the heat of the moment, thought ideally (if you know pf capper is betting the turn) I think it is better to wait til the turn to checkraise. The flop checkraise should not mathematically protect yr hand, but I do think there is something to be said for the psychological value of it (fold equity). Plus, waiting to CR the turn might allow AKs to see the river for free. All in all, not bad. I don't mind it.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably play the same way in the heat of the moment, thought ideally (if you know pf capper is betting the turn)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say there's a good chance that we won't get a bet to check-raise on the turn if we're ahead. Nice hand.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I probably play the same way in the heat of the moment, thought ideally (if you know pf capper is betting the turn)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say there's a good chance that we won't get a bet to check-raise on the turn if we're ahead. Nice hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah you are right. Most of the hands you know for sure that bet the flop and the turn are ahead of you anyhow.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:25 AM

Glad I didn't get taken to task too much, especially for what might as well have been a three-bet cold-call.

Now here's a question: suppose I check and the action goes bet/raise/reraise, or I bet and it goes raise/reraise/cap. Can I assume I'm behind, drawing to two outs, and fold?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:37 AM

Grunch.

NH.

I'd play it the same way and if AA or KK was so afraid of trips, I'm glad I got away as cheaply as I did.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad I didn't get taken to task too much, especially for what might as well have been a three-bet cold-call.

Now here's a question: suppose I check and the action goes bet/raise/reraise, or I bet and it goes raise/reraise/cap. Can I assume I'm behind, drawing to two outs, and fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check, then UTG bets, raise, RERAISE, I would most likely cap. Hopefully UTG would fold facing 3, and maybe the other would fold facing a Raise and cap behind him.

It would just be SO tough to lay down in that pot, with that board without an A or a K being on the board just on the assumption of AA or KK.

It wouldn't be the world's worst laydown facing 3 on the flop though in my opinion. Getting roughly 6:1 (when facing 3 with two to act behind you) is nowhere near enough to draw to 2 outs if you are going to assume AA or KK.