Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 07-14-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Hellmuth dogging Raymer

[ QUOTE ]
I took it to mean that it's weird how someone only makes one or two final tables in a year, and then they do great at the WSOP, of all tournaments. I mean, you could be right, but I don't see it as a huge deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sting of it is in the comparison to Tiffany Williamson. Since he just slagged her poker playing (and probably rightly so) to then essentially put Raymer in the same boat is quite a slight. I think many people still don't realize how good Raymer actually is.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:34 PM

i really dont think hellmuth is taking a shot at raymer here. his comments are on target and appear to be genuinely honest.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:36 PM

I assume you are talking about the 64o hand? The only questionable play might be the open-raise after 4 folders. But post-flop he played it fine.

Ken
Old 07-14-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't pay a ton of attention to Hellmuth, but I haven't seen his name at a final table in quite some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did have a top 10 this year. Not sure which event... i'll see if i can find it. However your point is not lost. I can't help but think of last years tournament of champions where Annie Duke outplayed him all over the place. All he could do after was whine and cry about how unluckey he was/is.

Yeah it was event #19 Pot Limit Omaha. Finished 10 won 5,000 and change [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 03:37 PM

I think Phils lack of success when it comes to winning NL tournaments in the last couple of years is starting to get to him.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:40 PM

I don't think it's that big of a snipe really. Also, he's pretty much correct.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to dog Hellmuth, it really needs to be for something other than his career tournament record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like his physique?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the quote, for those too lazy to read the whole article (I know you're out there =):

“She’ll probably show up at more poker tournaments in the future with mixed results. Greg Raymer has been on tour now for a whole year and he’s only made one or two final tables the whole year. Then he comes back with a lot of chips in this thing. That’s impressive, but kind of weird. Luck is a big factor.”

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, the way you describe it here, it makes it look less like a dig at Raymer than I think it is.

I think you need to consider what he says in the previous paragraph:
[ QUOTE ]

That’s the kind of hand that drives some pros crazy.

“She overplayed ace-queen,” said Phil Hellmuth, a pro who got knocked out in the first round. “She shouldn’t have been involved in the hand. That stuff happens. An amateur can get lucky.

“She’ll probably show up at more poker tournaments in the future with mixed results. Greg Raymer has been on tour now for a whole year and he’s only made one or two final tables the whole year. Then he comes back with a lot of chips in this thing. That’s impressive, but kind of weird. Luck is a big factor.”

[/ QUOTE ](emphasis added)

Basically, I see this as Phil calling Raymer an amateur and equating him with Tiffany Williams. I could be wrong though, but that's how I read it.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:43 PM

There is a new book called Aces and Kings that has a profile on Hellmuth. In it he talks about tightening up his game even more and laying down pocket kings and even pocket aces pre-flop if he doesn't think he's a big enough favorite. I'll have to get the exact quote, but I was shocked when I read it. It certainly sounded like he was trying to totally eliminate even the possibility of getting drawn out on from his game. I got the impression that maybe the bad beats were getting to him and he was playing ridiculously tight as a result.

Anyway, after this year no one, including Hellmuth, can dispute Raymer's skill in tournament NL.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:46 PM

stretching