Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Tivo vs Comcast Tivo

Is there any reason to get Comcast Tivo at $10/month rather than buying a Tivo on your own and getting the lifetime membership? I talked to the guys at tweeder who sold my dad a whole entertainment system and they suggested comcast tivo over regular tivo because it would be esier to hook everything up and it would be one less remote. Anyone have any experience with both?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Tivo vs Comcast Tivo

Comcast can suck my dick!
Old 08-26-2005, 02:16 PM

There are pros and cons to each. The comcast box is not TiVo. It's Comcast DVR, which is a knock-off. Most people like the TiVo interface much better. You can get a separate TiVo box, but then you'll have to use a blaster to get the remote control signal to your cable box and that causes a delay when you're changing channels - VERY annoying. Also note that the "lifetime" subscription is not your lifetime, but rather however long you have that exact TiVo box. If you upgrade to a new one, it doesn't transfer.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:18 PM

You can record in HD on the comcast DVR. There are NO other benefits to it.

In mid to late 2006 you should start seeing the comcast/tivo boxes available. Best of both worlds, i hope.

You'll be much happier with tivo for now.

Freakin
Old 08-26-2005, 02:28 PM

I've had both Tivo and Comcast DVR for the past year. My Comcast DVR was recently upgraded. Here's my take:

The tivo interface is much better. On top of that, I believe the underlying software is better. As an example, if you have a season pass for a particular show that usually runs on Wednesdays, tivo will actually catch that show if it's shown on a Thursday because of some scheduling change. I don't believe that the Comcast DVR does that. So the tivo "experience" is great. Using the remote blasters from the tivo to a cable box is mildly irritating, but not that big a deal.

However, the DVR is also a good deal. First, it allows you to record in high-definition, which is awesome. Even if you're not recording a show, but just watching a show, you're able to watch it on high-definition, where tivo can't pass through the high-definition signal. My new Comcast DVR (it just got upgraded a month ago or so) has better software (but still worse than tivo), but it now has dual tuners, so you can record two shows at the same time. It also has an enormous storage capacity. Right now, we have about 4-5 movies (all high definition) and I think it's still less than 50% full.

When we first got the DVR, it was clear that tivo was far superior, despite the lack of high-definition. Now that the DVR has dual tuners and a ton of space and much-improved software, if I was choosing between buying a tivo and renting a DVR, I think I might rent the DVR.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:29 PM

I went with the third choice, the Pioneer DVR . There are no montly fees because the guide is provided by TV guide, and doesn't have to hook to a land line to get the listings. I rather like it, it does the job, so to hell with Tivo and Comcast. Qwest too, I hate those steves.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:36 PM

Comcast's DVR interface sucks.

Also, the remote for mt DirecTV Tivo box works too slowly. It's very frustrating. Besides that, Tivo is the greatest thing EVER.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:40 PM

You can get HD TiVos and TiVos also have dual inputs for watching/recording two channels.

Personally, I'm holding out for another year or two before I build a whole new entertainment system from scratch with an HD TiVo with DVD (blue ray?) burner and whatever badass sound system I find (and we'll see if I can get a new tv in there too).
Old 08-26-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can record in HD on the comcast DVR. There are NO other benefits to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Comcast drive is also really small compared to the TIVO stuff available but it's the only one that will record in HD under $1000....
Old 08-26-2005, 02:41 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

standalone hd tivos are directv only