Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-28-2005, 02:26 PM

Default 10/20 limit - totally lost in the Wynn mixed game

Played in the 10/20 mixed game at the Wynn yesterday for kicks. I don't really know how to play O/8, so even basic comments would be appreciated. Please use simple words that even a hold'em player can understand [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Game is 5-handed and just started, UTG sounds British and seemed happy to have 0/8 in the rotation, BB is brand new but seems to be a regular at the mixed game. This is our first hand of O/8, so no real idea how any of them play.

Dead SB this hand, UTG raises, 1 fold, I call on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], BB calls.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG bets, I raise, BB calls, UTG 3-bets, I call, BB calls.

Turn 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG bets, I raise, BB calls, UTG calls.

River Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG bets, I raise.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: 10/20 limit - totally lost in the Wynn mixed game

Wow...what a great way to start out your O8 career.

At first, I thought his preflop raise was just because he's "bloody British" and these American's-can't-possibly-know-how-to-play-this-game, but as the hand goes on, I put him on either a set of Aces or a set of kings.

Some might suggest that you should re-raise preflop, but I'd prefer that you keep the BB in the game and wait until later to do your raising.

This guy must have some sort of hand for him to bet out like this three times in a row even though you keep raising him.

I would not play it any differently as the only cards you lose two are 2,3 with higher clubs. VERY unlikely.

I hope you won this whole pot...you should have.

Dave
Old 12-28-2005, 02:58 PM

I would agree that UTG probably has a set of aces. Also, since he would have to have the ace of clubs, he probably doesn't have another club since he didn't raise the river (although it would be too late to do anything by then anyways).
You have a good chance to scoop this pot, however since BB stayed in this hand all the way he probably has 23XX. If you get unlucky and get quartered, so be it, you played the hand properly.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:29 PM

PF is standard.

I'm not sure I like the flop raise. You have a draw at the nut low. For high you have top pair with an 8 kicker. It's quite unlikely that this is the best high at the moment. I would prefer to call and try to get BB to come along, with what is hopefully either a worse low or some high hand.

On the turn UTG bets for the 4th time in the hand already. AAxx is very possible. Unless he has specifically AA23 you're in a very good spot. Now I would raise, to try to push BB out of the hand. It's likely that you have UTG beat for low, and you have a number of outs to a flush to (probably) beat his high. If BB has two clubs, he'll probably come along if you just call, but if you raise he may fold. So I would raise the turn.

River is standard.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF is standard

[/ QUOTE ]

You really dont even consider 3-betting A238 on the button 5-handed?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PF is standard

[/ QUOTE ]

You really dont even consider 3-betting A238 on the button 5-handed?

[/ QUOTE ]

3-betting will most likely get the action heads up vs. UTG, and A238 doesn't tend to do well in HU and shorthanded situations.

This is a quote from Cappaletti's book:

"Acey-deucey hands are drawing hands two ways, you want to draw in more opponents to increase the odds on your draw."

An example hand he has, is A257 (which is quite close in nature to the A238 in the hand this post is about) vs. 8864 (complete cheese) and the A2 hand is only 46.6% to win.

I understand the situation this way (I may of course be completely wrong):

An A2 hand, like A238, is mainly a low hand, with relatively little high potential. However, a low will be made only a certain percentage of the time (the number 40% comes to mind, but that may well be off). A high will, however, always be made.

The way I see it, a "low" hand, like A238, will need a lot of help to overtake a "high" hand, e.g. TJKA or even 8864. And that's why A2 type hands tend to do poorly in heads-up situations.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:47 AM

Preflop:I would not raise.This is a pretty good hand multi-way,but you have to hit the flop very well to have the best of it heads up against another raiser.

Flop:Just call with a weak high high & nut low draw with no back-up.

Rest:Fine.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:44 AM

Thanks for all the comments. Seems like several folks think I don't have enough of a hand for a flop raise, but the rest of the streets were okay. I was mostly wondering about preflop and the river and didn't realize that the flop would be a problem. On the river, I was considering looking for an overcall, since I thought I might be chopping with UTG. As it turns out, I got lucky. BB and UTG both called the raise on the river, and I got 3/4. UTG had A23Q for a rivered two pair, BB didn't show. I'm mystified as to what he had.