Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 04-16-2005, 05:23 PM

Default KK and 777: tight/weak?

$2/$5, hero has the table covered. Hero has no reads on opponents.

Hand #1: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero limps. Two more limpers, blinds complete (oops).

Flop:

Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets $25, MP ($500) min-raises to $50, everyone folds, hero calls.

Turn:

7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, MP checks.

River:

4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, MP bets $50, hero calls.

Hand #2:

Hero limps with 77 in MP.

Flop:

K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked around.

Turn:

7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB ($300) bets $25 into a $20 pot, hero calls.

River:

4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets $75 into a $70 pot. Hero calls.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: KK and 777: tight/weak?

I'd have led the river in hand 1 about 75-80 and folded to a raise. You may get called by 88-99 and Qx. Only hands that beat you can raise there.

Hand 2 - are you worried most about his stack size? You could be up against any 2 cards here, don't you think there's too great of a chance you're missing value from a [censored] two-pair? I'd have raised the turn to about 60.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have led the river in hand 1 about 75-80 and folded to a raise. You may get called by 88-99 and Qx. Only hands that beat you can raise there.

Hand 2 - are you worried most about his stack size? You could be up against any 2 cards here, don't you think there's too great of a chance you're missing value from a [censored] two-pair? I'd have raised the turn to about 60.

[/ QUOTE ]

One other general note: the tables are pretty passive. Bets are usually noticeably smaller than the pot, and raises are rare.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:19 PM

In hand #2 , I think its criminal not to raise somewhere.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:27 PM

Hand 1: I assume you were trying to limp, reraise in this hand. Since it didn't work the golden rule is to never go broke in an unraised pot. On that note, you kept the pot small and have no problem with you calling the river bet, although it sounds like a made flush.

Hand 2: Unless you have a read on the other player that he was slowplaying a bigger set, you should definitely raise the river. I like $175 to go...
Old 04-16-2005, 09:48 PM

FWIW, I think both hands look fine....there's nothing wrong with playing cautiously in unraised pots when you have no reads and are playing against tight players and you don't have the nuts......
Old 04-16-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: I assume you were trying to limp, reraise in this hand. Since it didn't work the golden rule is to never go broke in an unraised pot. On that note, you kept the pot small and have no problem with you calling the river bet, although it sounds like a made flush.

Hand 2: Unless you have a read on the other player that he was slowplaying a bigger set, you should definitely raise the river. I like $175 to go...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you fold if he comes back over the top? 98 is more of a worry for OP, I suspect.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:03 PM

I think you played both hands fine. You might have wanted to shoot a bet out at the turn in #1, but I'm okay with not betting too. I don't think you played them weak, just cautious.
I assume that you were intending on winning small pots on these, and that this is the strategy that is the framework of your game. I don't think that these plays are poor, under this assumption.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played both hands fine. You might have wanted to shoot a bet out at the turn in #1, but I'm okay with not betting too. I don't think you played them weak, just cautious.
I assume that you were intending on winning small pots on these, and that this is the strategy that is the framework of your game. I don't think that these plays are poor, under this assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play plenty of big pots, but I like being the aggressor and controlling the pot size myself.

When someone raises me (or, as in hand #2, slightly & strangely overbets the pot, which is almost as good as a raise...) I get less interested in big pots unless I've got a great hand or a great read.

Concealed overpair and middle set are pretty great hands, hence my dilemma.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I play plenty of big pots, but I like being the aggressor and controlling the pot size myself.

When someone raises me (or, as in hand #2, slightly & strangely overbets the pot, which is almost as good as a raise...) I get less interested in big pots unless I've got a great hand or a great read.

Concealed overpair and middle set are pretty great hands, hence my dilemma.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just making sure you were doing the right thing for the right reasons. I think that you played the hands fine.