Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Attempted isolation play + continued aggression + value bet

[ QUOTE ]
i like this hand all up to the river.

preflop is very much fine. you will have a multiway pot given table read plus you'll easily get the free card if you want it seeing as you are on the button. i simply wouldn't term it an "isolation raise" but also to build a big pot.

this is a beautiful flop to bet. a very low ragged board and the K is scary. bet to fold any A/Q/stronger Js or Ts (AT or QJ). easy to fold to a c/r and we could again easily get a free card on the turn.

the turn i like because we hit, still have good position, possibly the best hand, and loose/passives sometimes make loose flop calls or with lower pockets..

the river i check through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this actually and the more I think about it I think this is the best line. I'd watch out for calling stations and people who play top pair passively. I've run into more than a few people lately who will just call something like this all the way down to the river with a weak king. I think thats why I like the river check through.

Do we fold if SB bets on the river?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:13 PM

Thanks for all the responses. SB called on river and showed A3.

In everything about SSHE I've read it talks about how people will call down with 2nd and 3rd pair often enough (not to mention, sometimes nothing) that it makes sense to value bet more often than you think, which is what I thought I was doing on my river bet.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:17 PM

well there's LP players and there's just plain dumb ones. i think on this hand, with you're shown aggression, once they call the turn, it typically means a K. against most players i just check it through as i really wouldn't think a 3 or 7 would call your final river bet. this doof has proved me wrong i guess [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well there's LP players and there's just plain dumb ones. i think on this hand, with you're shown aggression, once they call the turn, it typically means a K. against most players i just check it through as i really wouldn't think a 3 or 7 would call your final river bet. this doof has proved me wrong i guess [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can be sure I noted his name. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 05:35 PM

*grunch*

I don't like the raise preflop at all. You have a marginal hand that plays better multiway.

I'd be lying if I said I don't bet the flop here after a preflop raise, but I don't think its correct. You will almost never pick up the pot here and are drawing to very few outs.

On the turn you bet again. I'm not sure what is correct here. You said the table was loose and passive, so someone could be calling down with Kx.

I'd check behind on the river expecting to be shown K4o or some other garbage hand.

I think you got into trouble here with the preflop raise.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:40 PM

grnch

I like the raise preflop but apparently I'm a LAG and suck postflop so I might be folding this for now. I like the flop bet but after he calls I'd have a hard time betting the turn but I prolly bet here as well. I check behind on the river because I'm not sure what calls me that I beat. If there's a value bet here it's got to be pretty thin.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:43 PM

Quite a few of the posters didn't like my Flop bet. I figured there were a few reasons for the bet:

1) Continuation bet.

2) I have backdoor draws.

3) Most importantly IMO, I could buy some outs. If I can get AJ, QJ, AT, QT or JT to fold here, there is some value there.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quite a few of the posters didn't like my Flop bet. I figured there were a few reasons for the bet:

1) Continuation bet.

2) I have backdoor draws.

3) Most importantly IMO, I could buy some outs. If I can get AJ, QJ, AT, QT or JT to fold here, there is some value there.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no reason to auto continuation bet into 3 opponents. I still do this too much, but have found that continuation betting less into a large field is +EV. I think you are drawing very thin if you are behind on this flop. I agree about buying outs though.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:50 PM

I agree there is no reason for the auto continuation bet. It's the combined value of all the reasons that caused me to bet on the flop.