Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: AC\'s Jarhead movie review

regarding troys death: this was one thing I wanted to see in the movie (the bender these guys went on after the war).

That woulda been fun...
Old 11-05-2005, 11:36 PM

and the crushing of the locals in the bar fight after troys death.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and the crushing of the locals in the bar fight after troys death.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he gets killed in a barfight and then the marines take revenge on the guy's that did it?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So he gets killed in a barfight and then the marines take revenge on the guy's that did it?

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, no. you see why the movie left you hanging?

troy dies in a car wreck and swofford and his fellow STA's marines go on a bender. they are hammered at a bar and a local is saying how troy was a loser and that basically he had it coming etc.

the jarheads [censored] up a bar full of locals sending them to the hospital even though they were outnumbered. the police end up letting them off the hook since they had just fought for our country and they knew of troy's death. really good stuff.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:43 PM

No they are just drinking at a pub at some local guy starts mouthing off about jarheads suck etc, then a brawl.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I saw the trailer for this and was intrigued so I read the book. I like the book, but at the end I sort of felt like the author's problems didn't stem from the war or from being a marine; I think he would feel the same anguish had he never joined.

[/ QUOTE ]
i guess we took two totally different views from this book. you think swofford feels anguish post-gulf war?

[/ QUOTE ]

The last page makes me wonder how he hasn't killed himself.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The last page makes me wonder how he hasn't killed himself.

[/ QUOTE ]
haven't read it in awhile, but from what i remember he is talking about how his life is filled with regret b/c he is built as a marine and you aren't a marine unless you have killed and he didn't even fire his rifle and you are nothing w/o your rifle as the rifle is nothing w/o you etc etc etc. basically him talking about regret as a man and marine.

then you turn the page and he talks and he does a complete 360 on you talking about how his life would be different had he taken THE shot and had he killed another human being and how the regret has left him.

it has been awhile, am i wrong? i don't have the book on me cause its been passed around amongst friends for months now.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:03 AM

i think me having not read the book made me like the movie much more than if i had. all these people who have read the book are saying "yeah it was good but the book siad all this...". im going to get the book tomorrow. honestly, this is one of the best movies ive seen in a while. there are a couple awkward parts but theres so much really good and original stuff in it that it is up there.

if anyone else says "OMFG theres no political content" i am going to flip out on them. the movie flew over those people's heads.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

troy dies in a car wreck and swofford and his fellow STA's marines go on a bender. they are hammered at a bar and a local is saying how troy was a loser and that basically he had it coming etc.

the jarheads [censored] up a bar full of locals sending them to the hospital even though they were outnumbered. the police end up letting them off the hook since they had just fought for our country and they knew of troy's death. really good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

You totally just ruined Jarhead 2.

rJ
Old 11-06-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The book is ALWAYS better, and if I wasn't so lazy I'd take the 5-10 hours to read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Jarhead" was one of the quickest reads ever for me. Read it.

~ Rick

PS "Godfather" the movie was much better than "Godfather" the book except for when Sonny pumped that cousin or whatever against the door which to this day still makes me horny.