Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 02:15 PM

Default What can I do with a math degree? (x-post from OOT)

I'll be graduating with a bachelor's degree in applied math. What are my options after graduation? What kinds of jobs can I look at? If I consider grad school, what field can I go into? What tests would I need to take? Keep in mind that for grad school suggestions, my undergrad GPA is far from superb.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: What can I do with a math degree? (x-post from OOT)

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be graduating with a bachelor's degree in applied math. What are my options after graduation? What kinds of jobs can I look at? If I consider grad school, what field can I go into? What tests would I need to take? Keep in mind that for grad school suggestions, my undergrad GPA is far from superb.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.ams.org/careers/
http://www.siam.org/careers/thinking.php
http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos043.htm
http://www.math.com/students/advice/careers.html
etc
Old 11-15-2005, 02:57 PM

Regarding grad school, if you have solid grades , you should be qualified to enter grad school in applied math, engineering/applied physics, computer science, financial math/quantitative finance and probably many other areas. Regarding jobs, my younger brother is studying in applied math (3rd year), and he says that most of the jobs for bachelor's degree holders are in the computer area and some in financial areas. Knowing how to program, and solve problems with computers is a big asset.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:23 PM

I got a math degree and went to graduate school in stats. I've PM'd you about it. Look me up. You'd be suprised at how high the demand in statistics is and how sought after you will be by graduate departments if you are american. Did I mention that the starting salary is 6 figs?

Indy
Old 11-15-2005, 05:52 PM

What can't you do with a Math degree!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:09 AM

I'm surprised nobody has directly mentioned being an actuary yet.

What do you want to do?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:52 AM

You can be an actuary, but its not going to be a mathematical job. In other words, you won't use ur math degree that much after you pass those exams ( I passed them all, and opted out on the profession). Basically, actuary jobs are officey jobs where u just spend time getting familiar with your insurance company's operating procedures. If you want to use your math and make huge money, you need a master's degree (or even PhD if you have the time and don't hate school) in statistics. If you had ur master's degree from even a tier 3 school, I could hand u a juicy job by friday. Also, I get a call every day from a "head-hunter" offering me 20K more than I currently make to switch jobs and move to cali/east coast.

Indy