Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Pascal\'s Wager

[ QUOTE ]
- if the wager is followed this is not true belief, and you wont get paid off unless God isn't omnicient

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only is it not "true belief", but it's not "belief" at all. Nobody can choose their beliefs. I can't start believing that an invisible pink dinosaur lives in my closet because someone says that if I believe that I'll go to heaven.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- if the wager is followed this is not true belief, and you wont get paid off unless God isn't omnicient

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only is it not "true belief", but it's not "belief" at all. Nobody can choose their beliefs. I can't start believing that an invisible pink dinosaur lives in my closet because someone says that if I believe that I'll go to heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

The force of the wager is the infinite upside. Think of practising the religon as a form of brainwashing and there is a finite chance that the practice will lead to belief before you die. That keeps the upside infinite.

The infinite upside overcomes any objection that relies on reducing the likelyhood of winning the bet (providing the chance of winning remains finite).

chez
Old 10-19-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that Pascal wasn't interested in if there's a God or not - merely proving that belief in God is positive expected value.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only expected value to believe in god if god exists! That's the whole point. Because the argument is circular it collapses in on itself before it can even finish.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:56 PM

What class and where? Post your paper when you're done. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's only expected value to believe in god if god exists!

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless you can establish that God absolutely does not exist (which you can't) then it's +EV even if he doesn't happen exist. Basically, as long as we can only discuss God in probability then I don't think it's circular.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The force of the wager is the infinite upside. Think of practising the religon as a form of brainwashing and there is a finite chance that the practice will lead to belief before you die.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I was just adding to the previous poster's response to the "belief" aspect of the wager.

If anyone ever really tries to get you to believe using Pascal's wager, just counter-offer: If you give me $50, I will believe in your God, and you will be guaranteed to go to heaven; if you don't give me $50, you will be guaranteed to go to hell.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What class and where? Post your paper when you're done. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

UCF
Ethics in Science and technology

the professor gives us take home test where we include 3 short essays about stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the class, even the lectures dont have anything to do with the class. It's not that good so ill skip posting it, good enough to give me an A though. Mostly just a rehashing of whats been said on this thread, only like 2 pages.