Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 07:55 PM

Default 5-10 Atlantic City

I usually play nl, but on this trip to ac this weekend, i was thinking of playing some limit holdem. where are the best 5-10 games in AC? Also, considering the general juiciness[sp]of the nl games at places like the borgata, is it even worth it to bother with 5-10 limit? Thanks in advance for any advice.

ZeusXIX
Old 10-11-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: 5-10 Atlantic City

The only place that I know of that regularly spreads 5-10 is the Taj. I haven't played in it in about a year so I can't tell you how it is.

If you a better NL player, play NL. If you want to play 1-2 NL, I would suggest going anywhere but the Borgata if you want to avoid a ridiculous wait. There are bad players at that game anywhere you go.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:39 PM

use the search function and search for "Borgata 6/12" (without the quotations). Search the past 6 weeks or so (maybe last 8 weeks) and I think you'll find a good thread that covers everything you need to know. Games loose and passive in general, very goot.

Oh, and as an aside, one could probably (but not definitely) make more $$ per hour in the 6/12 limit games than in the 1-2NL games, IMO. The 1-2 games are nice, and you'll make a big score every so often, but the 1/2's are SLOW and pots in the 6/12 games are consistently huge (10BB+) due to the looseness of the play. CCx knows the borgata 6/12 quite well, maybe PM him about it.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you a better NL player, play NL. If you want to play 1-2 NL, I would suggest going anywhere but the Borgata if you want to avoid a ridiculous wait. There are bad players at that game anywhere you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played 1-2 NL at the Borgata this sunday evening with no wait at all (8 PM). Maybe just because it was sunday evening.

Also, playing 1-2 NL in Atlantic City is pretty much the best idea ever if you like to acquire big stacks of chips in front of you, and subsequently in your wallet. If only it wasnt 8 hours away...
Old 10-12-2005, 10:31 AM

I played 5-10 at the Taj this Sunday, and the games weren't bad. Not the best I've ever seen but a pretty standard good game. My friend's tales from the 1-2NL table made my mouth water, though. Any low-limits, I'd suggest Taj (shorter waits), but I hear great things about the 6-12 at the Borg.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:29 AM

Timing is everything. 5-10 can be extremely profitable (my best is up 1200 in one sitting). 1-2 NL is also very profitable (my best here is turning a single hundred dollar bill into 2 grand in one sitting). The trick though is knowing when to play limit versus no-limit. Generally, I find NL to be the more profitable game on weekend nights where people are partying hard and out to have a good time. Friday night and Saturday nights are pefect for NL. Likewise, Saturday morning and Sunday morning around 4-5am when people are trying desperately to win their money back (almost like how Monday night football is depicted in the movie Two for the Money) provide equally golden opportnities to score big with very little effort. On the flip side of this coin you have weekday sessions and weekend sessions from pre-lunch until dinner. I think this is when it's often times more profitable to play limit. The NL games usually haven't really heated up yet. My experiences have been that if you play NL midday on a Sunday (for example), half the table sees the flop and then one guy bets out 4 times the pot on the flop and wins the 8 bucks and that's that. Ends up being extremely boring and unprofitable. However, this is when I find it an ideal time to play limit. Everyone is a bit tired and just wants to click back into some kind of groove. No one does anything fancy, everyone just kind of plays. This loose passive and predictable game is easy to control in my opinion. So in conclusion, I think it really comes down to the day and time of the week. I'd be curious to hear other people's thoughts though on this theory.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:23 AM

Good post. I'm a regular AC low limit player and I have found these games to be as you describe.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:50 AM

I agree with your argument that the NL is better at some times in general, while limit is better at others. Weekends late night there is no way the 6/12 is better than 1-2NL. The 10/20, however, might be faaaaantastic... it is just a different game than 6/12. I tend to try & capitalize on drunks in the NL games late night, plus the college "TV player" scene, and then the rest of the time hit the 6/12 games vs old nits.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:03 PM

The problem with 5-10 is that it's a 1 chip, 2 chip game. I believe that really tightens things up. Play 6-12, the games are better. Borgata and Tropicana are the only places in AC that spread 6-12.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:26 PM

Interesting. I've played 10-20 a few times but haven't made it over to the 6-12 games. Those look very interesting though and I like your comment about it NOT being a one chip two chip game. What differences, if any, are there between the Borgata 6-12 game and the Trop 6-12 game? Is it hard to get seating at these tables on the weekends?