Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-16-2005, 06:07 PM

Default If it turns out that Bush broke a law with domestic spying....

When do we get to seriously start using the "I" word?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: If it turns out that Bush broke a law with domestic spying....

Depends if it is illegal or just unauthorized. And he gets to go under the Patriot Act as previously in force.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:42 PM

Yeah, apparently you're allowed to lead the country to war under false pretenses, no problem, but if you don't consider a [censored] to be sex, well hell, you might as well kill he guy.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, apparently you're allowed to lead the country to war under false pretenses, no problem, but if you don't consider a [censored] to be sex, well hell, you might as well kill he guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

In your example, did Congress authorize the [censored]?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....if you don't consider a [censored] to be sex, well hell, you might as well kill he guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clinton got disbarred and paid a half million dollar fine. Thats gotta be the most expensive blow job in history or he did something more than just have oral sex.

Stu
Old 12-16-2005, 06:45 PM

Looks like it was illegal
Old 12-16-2005, 06:52 PM

Illegal isnt the right word.

The term is 'unconstitutional'. Remember when he put that hand on the holy bible and swore to uphold the constitution? He broke that vow to the american people.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Illegal isnt the right word.

The term is 'unconstitutional'. Remember when he put that hand on the holy bible and swore to uphold the constitution? He broke that vow to the american people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it appears that the leaders of the Senate and House intel committees were informed of this program. This means the dems on the committees too. So this was not just some covert op hid from Congress.

Also the real question as to legality is whether the FBI would legally be able to perform such actions as the domestic agency responsible for counter-intelligence on US soil. If the case is that the wiretaps would have been legal for the FBI, then they aren't unconstitutional per se. So to me, it is legitimate to use another agency that possesses the technological capabilities that the FBI doesn't.

I would also imagine that the administration has legally covered its butt so that a prima facie case of legitimate use can be made, in order that there exist no intent to break the law.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:46 AM

Why is everything partisan with you? This is an American Crisis. You are so petty about every little thing. Ever think there could be something wrong with BOTH PARTIES? All you ever do is spew the same tired talking points.
--------------
Bluff this:
Well it appears that the leaders of the Senate and House intel committees were informed of this program. This means the dems on the committees too. So this was not just some covert op hid from Congress.
-------------------

It was hidden from the american people. Where exactly does the buck stop? Not with the president apparently. You cant pass the blame for this. He knowingly violated the 4th amendment and he certainly violated the requirement (Article II, sec. 3) that the President "shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed."

--------------
Bluff THis:
I would also imagine that the administration has legally covered its butt so that a prima facie case of legitimate use can be made, in order that there exist no intent to break the law.
-------------
Oh yeah, a guy he appointed said it was ok, big surprise. Remember the Halloween Simpsons where Burns' lawyer rationalized that it was ok for him to hunt humans. This is similar.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:02 PM

Come on, in case you haven't figured it out, the man is made of teflon. He was annointed God by the republicans before the first "election", loses, yet, somehow assumes the duty of president. Outs CIA agents, lies, snorts coke, I can only begin to imagine the stuff the man has done. Here in Cleveland, during the last election, he received more votes than are registered voters in a particular district that historically votes over 90% democratic. You tell me the man is on the level.