Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2004, 02:11 PM

Default Tournament hand

Hi,

This is a hand I just played, and I'm not very proud about it. Rebuy Paradise tournament, about 220 entrants. We are down to 45 players, and I have an above average stack of 28 000. The other big stacks are MP2 with 32 000, and BB with 40 000. The blinds are 1000/2000, with a 100 ante.

I am MP1 with 88. Folded to me. I decide to make it 6000. Is it a bad idea ? I of course intend to fold for a reraise, but the blinds are tight players, and I have a solid image...

MP2 calls and all the other players fold. Just a few hands before, MP2 doubled up : he raised with KJo, was reraised all-in by a big stack, and he called. He was lucky enough to catch a K against AQs, and doubled up. As you can see, he is a poor player, and he could hold a lot of hands.

The flop comes 7 6 2 rainbow. Since there is a good chance he doesnt like that flop, I bet 9000 at that 16 000 pot. I have 13 000 left, and I intend to fold if I am raised. Should I have bet more, considering I was pot-commited ? Was check-fold a good option ?

Anyway, he called, to my surprise : With a very big pair, he certainly would have raised preflop, and with a medium pair, I guess he would either fold (afraid of a bigger pair) or raise (if he puts me on big cards) on that flop. So I put him on big cards, or maybe a A7.

The turn is a 3. I have 13 000, and the pot is now 34 000. I hesitate, and check, since I doubt he would call my bet with a lesser hand. Would you have moved all-in here ?

He goes all-in himself, and I call. What do you think ? Should I have folded ?

If you have any idea, let me know.

sahaguje.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Tournament hand

I certainly don't think this is a hand that you should not be "proud" of. I think it's one of the most difficult hands to play in NLHE.

I completely agree with your pre-flop action. I would have made a similar raise, and I would have folded to a re-raise. You're reading him as a below average player. So what hands could he have?

I would rule out a big pair like AA, KK, probably even QQ. I think typical players would have raised with those hands. So he could have other pairs with JJ, TT, 99, maybe 77 or smaller pairs. He shouldn't be calling a raise with a smaller pair but it's possible. I would also rule out AK as most average players think it's the best possible hand in the world and push, push, push. AQ or AJ would be possible, again, based solely on your read. I guess he could have other marginal hands but those probably are not relevant here.

Just to clarify, you have 14k left AFTER your flop bet? If so, yes, you are pot committed, but if you're behind you can at least fold and have a few chips to play with. Your bet could look like it's a probing one (if he knew what that meant) or it could also look like you have a strong hand and are okay with someone calling you, which on this board is quite likely.

I think part of your thinking before you bet the flop should have been not just what you would do if he raises you, but what would you do if he just calls you. Make that decision before you put chips into the pot.

So, when he calls your bet what could he be holding. I'm thinking that he has either a pair bigger than yours, or perhaps even a set. But, I do play conservatively in this situation because I have lost so many times when I have a middle over pair only to lose to a larger overpair or a set. That's not to say you should run away from the hand, but if someone calls your bet you need to think hard about committing the rest of your chips. Especially when your overpair is just one rank above the top pair of the board.

So I think you're behind here and I probably would have checked the turn and folded to his all-in.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:18 AM

Actually, he had AK. He was lucky enough to buy a K on the river, but that's not the point. I should have folded on the turn. Tough hand, because when the blinds start rising, if you fold in that kind of spots that means you can very easily be bluffed if your preflop steal misses. But I think you are right, this is the good play. Thanks for your answer.

sahaguje
Old 11-15-2004, 05:19 AM

I think I would push on the flop and really put him to the test; you have 19k and are pushing into a pot of 16k. I don't want overs catching up with me, and I can't really bet any amount comfortably here. If your opponent was tighter, I'd consider check-folding, but from your description of him, his possible holdings are too broad for me to really do that (unless you were live and he gave off a tell [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
Old 11-15-2004, 06:56 AM

I agree with JaBlue here, push on the flop. Holding 8-8 this looks like an excellent flop. It would not be any fun for him to call with ak unimproved.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would push on the flop and really put him to the test; you have 19k and are pushing into a pot of 16k. I don't want overs catching up with me, and I can't really bet any amount comfortably here. If your opponent was tighter, I'd consider check-folding, but from your description of him, his possible holdings are too broad for me to really do that (unless you were live and he gave off a tell [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think moving all-in on the flop would have been superior to my play. The problem is I will only be called by a better hand than mine, and he certainly can have 99, TT or JJ (of course, KJ, KQ, AJ, AQ, AK are also possible). But since he didnt raise my flop bet, there is a good chance I am ahead of him (or waaaay behind) on turn. My plan on flop was to fold if raised, and on turn check-fold if 7, A, K or Q fell, and go all-in otherwise. But I dont know why I checked... Maybe to induce a bluff ?

Anyway, I dont like pushing on flop very much. We are close to the money, and I have a good stack. I should not try to go all-in against another big stack with such a mediocre holding, unless he has shown weakness, as he actually did on flop. How about betting 7000 instead of 9000 on flop, then going all in on turn ?

See you

sahaguje
Old 11-16-2004, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The flop comes 7 6 2 rainbow. Since there is a good chance he doesnt like that flop, I bet 9000 at that 16 000 pot. I have 13 000 left, and I intend to fold if I am raised. Should I have bet more, considering I was pot-commited ? Was check-fold a good option ?

sahaguje.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think you are pot commited or not? You bid only 9000, so that you can fold, but still says that you are potcomitted?

If he raises your 9000 you will not be in a good position if you folds. No i still thinks that if you are going to play your hand you must play it hard so that it makes it harder for your opponent to call. Your opponent will not be excited to call with 9-9 since you easily could have an higher pocket pair.