Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Building big multiway pots in NL..

Recently I've been moving back and forth between NL and limit and I've found games where it's 6 limpers to me in LP. For the sake of changing it up every once in a while and for value, I will occasionally raise drawing hands like low PP or JTs to build a decent sized pot, this seems to work fine in limit but I haven't tried it in NL. I have a feeling this is one of those plays that will not work well in NL but I wanted to hear what others thought. I also imagine this would be a better play in deep stack NL compared to the Party structure.

So in a game with blinds of 2-5 NL, if there were 5 or 6 limpers to me in LP with a good hand (i.e. AKs, AA, KK etc..), I'd make it $80 to go or something of that nature, to cut down on my opponents and take control, but with a small pair or JTs, I'd more inclined to only raise it $20 and have 6 of us take a flop for $20....I realize this won't work since people will begin to realize what a raise means from me depending on how much I raise. Yet, I still feel like building a pot with a decent drawing hand at a table that is very loose preflop will increase the amount of money that drawing hands make in LP. Does this concept equally apply to both NL and limit? Or do people just come in for their standard raise regardless of their hand since limpers won't know whether the flop has hit you or not? If you wanted to build pots with drawing hands in LP could you just raise to $20 occassionally with powerhouse hands in order to avoid being read? Is all of this just a recipe for disaster? Should I stick to either limping or raising and not somewhere in between in the hopes of building a pot? Thoughts?