Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Straight but the flush draw gets there...

[ QUOTE ]
My concern was not having to make a tough decision by calling a river bet, and I hoped I could maybe push him off a non-nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arg this is wrong in so many ways. First off you are not going to push a flush off their hand. They called some big bets to draw to the flush, do you really think they are gonna fold it on the river once they made it? Trying to push a flush off their hand is chip spewing.

If you are willing to put all your chips in here then check call the river. At least let someone with a set or lower strait be able to bluff the flush.

By bettting the river like that you made sure that anyone with a worse hand will not call, and anyone with a better hand will (as I pointed out no flush is folding at this point). This is exactly what you dont want to do.

BTW I dont mind the flop overbet.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:17 AM

Just reading this the blocking bet seems to make more sense for the reasons stated, but how are you guys playing this type of hand OOP when you think he is on the flush draw and it misses? check to LAG or make small bet?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just reading this the blocking bet seems to make more sense for the reasons stated, but how are you guys playing this type of hand OOP when you think he is on the flush draw and it misses? check to LAG or make small bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he often bluff when someone shows weakness I might check to him. But it also depends on if its a 4-card-straight out there (as in this example) or not.

Guess I usually bet out like 2/3 pot in this spot.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree if he is gonna fold to a push than put a blocker out there. This is nice because he might get flat called by a worse hand. If he is gonna put all his chips in like he did then check call. Either way dont push in first.

I check if I think he missed the flush. This gives him a chance to bluff and he is obviously not gonna be calling any bets, but might make one. If I think he has any type of made hand (2 pair maybe) I move in.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:23 AM

I don't see anyone having the flush after this action, and would entirely discount it. How can he call the big flop and turn bets on a flush draw? (Except T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], which is such a specific holding you can't worry too much about it IMO). To pick up on a post in a different thread, I think we have to give our villains credit for having some rudimentary ability to play poker.

I agree with the blocking bet and would call a push, which I would read as someone donking it up with a 9 and reading you for an overpair/ two pair/ set. I wouldn't fear the third heart unless I had a very clear read on the villain as a total moron.