Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Has anyone here changed their opinion on God?

[ QUOTE ]
This does not really answer your question, more of a comment. One thing I have noticed on the forum (and was surprising to me) is the amount of passion many agnostics/atheist have expressed in their “belief” (stance?, not sure of the proper word) on the forum. Almost like zealots evangelizing. Interesting, I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I think most atheists have always been a little reluctant to express their 'beliefs' in this country (especially under the current climate) where they are outnumbered 9-1. I think the odds are much better on this forum and there is definitely some spirited debate on both sides. It is nice to have a place to express oneself freely.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This does not really answer your question, more of a comment. One thing I have noticed on the forum (and was surprising to me) is the amount of passion many agnostics/atheist have expressed in their “belief” (stance?, not sure of the proper word) on the forum. Almost like zealots evangelizing. Interesting, I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I think most atheists have always been a little reluctant to express their 'beliefs' in this country (especially under the current climate) where they are outnumbered 9-1. I think the odds are much better on this forum and there is definitely some spirited debate on both sides. It is nice to have a place to express oneself freely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, the average person is such a dolt that clings to their indoctrinated beliefs to such an extent that discussion of the topics expressed here is useless. I rarely discuss the topics I discuss here because its pointless trying to explain something to someone who doesn't want to think about things (I don't avoid the topic because I'm afraid of being outnumbered). The "evangelizing" on this forum, at least for me, is due to the fact that it is (was) assumed that people on a Sci/Math/Philo forum are seeking more understanding and are generally far more reason-oriented rather than emotion-oriented compared to the average person. However, threads indicate that this may not be the case. Also, I just like being a smartass when I read absurd statements spread as logical reasoning.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, the average person is such a dolt that clings to their indoctrinated beliefs to such an extent that discussion of the topics expressed here is useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hi Kettle. You're black."
Old 10-04-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, the average person is such a dolt that clings to their indoctrinated beliefs to such an extent that discussion of the topics expressed here is useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I was raised Christian.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what made you change your mind?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what made you change your mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

An accumulation of a lot of factors, but mainly just saw through the absurdity of the basic premises and realized that my "faith" was in direct conflict with my reasoning faculty.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:30 PM

I see alot of Christians who believe Atheists and Agnostics must have been raised as Atheists/Agnostics. Personally, I've never met anyone who was raised as a non-believer. Have you? What led you to believe kidluckee was?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:48 PM

I was brought up as a Christian, I remember when I ‘lost my faith’.

It was when I was about eight or nine; there was this boy my patents had told me to avoid. He as a few years older than me, a bit rough and his father was in prison for something.

So while I was out playing with him, I made some religious based remark, I can not remember what, and he said

“You don’t want to listen to that nonsense, its just one big fairy story.”

That was the first time someone had demonstrated a non-theistic belief to me.

Something in my mind clicked, and I thought, “Of course, that’s right”.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Among the incorrect beliefs of religious people is the belief that non believers get that way because of ulterior motives rather than thinking things through. Some Catholics and Jews are apparently exceptions.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see alot of Christians who believe Atheists and Agnostics must have been raised as Atheists/Agnostics. Personally, I've never met anyone who was raised as a non-believer. Have you? What led you to believe kidluckee was?

[/ QUOTE ]

I must admit I was raised as a non-believer. My father is an atheist and my mother agnostic. I try and let my children decide for themselves but obviously when they ask my opinion on the subject my bias comes through. Plus, I am not qualified to present the other side - so they are non-believers at this point.