Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: $55 - Talk to me about this villain\'s call.

I believe that the key is that this is a +EV call against an aggressive opponent.

its a combination of the pot odds, your wide pushing range, and the caller's stack size (a call that is +chip EV is almost always going to be +$ EV)
Old 08-18-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Giga and the theory of the Pie.

And then maybe a combination of one more thing also...

It is crap to have between 10 and 20 BBs. You have no room for nothing and often fold hands like AJ and 66. So, in order to get to another level (or drop to a lower one) you embrace the chance of a race here.

I'm out on a limb here of course...
Old 08-18-2005, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Giga and the theory of the Pie.

IMHO this gigabet nonsense has so little relevance here that it shouldn't really be considered. Winning those chips gives OP a strategic advantage on the players to his left, but people seem to forget that losing those chips hurts him strategically. If the BB folds, he can still steal his way to chip lead but losing a showdown does not make this possible the immediate future.

The BB probably made this call because of the games he had played with OP and recognized that the OP will sometimes push any two in the SB. He probably figured that this was one of those times and correctly made a call that is very much +$EV according to ICM alone.