Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Hybrid Cars

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The hydrogen cars are supposedly a more realistic long-term solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know little to nothing about hydrogen-based cars, but I can't stop thinking of The Hindenburg. I'll do my own research, but if you have any good links, please feel free to post/PM them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hydrogen cars are safe, don't worry. Their biggest problem is performance.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:43 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but i thought most of the hydrogen gathered for hydrogen cars was from natural gas, which doesn't exactly make it a problem-solver. ideally we would want it from a ton of nuclear power plants (which don't exist) shooting at water right? but then that's using up uranium.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but i thought most of the hydrogen gathered for hydrogen cars was from natural gas, which doesn't exactly make it a problem-solver. ideally we would want it from a ton of nuclear power plants (which don't exist) shooting at water right? but then that's using up uranium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is also why we are so screwed. ITER is in political gridlock. There isn't that much fissionable material around. We will have to mine the moon if we want to ramp up fission. If we create hydrogen from coal power plants we are going to destroy the environment and tar sands are notoriously bad for the atmosphere. If you watch the smalley video, he comments about how hydrogen cars aren't that great because hydrogen simply doesn't store that much energy. If we develop fusion we are good, but like I said it's been in gridlock for over 3 years.

There is a thread in the politics section here:

Linky

In which Nicky G, Zeno, John Feeney, and I take on all of the doubters. You will see that the people argueing with us consistently get every single one of their arguements decimated. It takes a bit for the thread to get started, but once it gets going, it really got going. The skeptic arguements are not only very flimsy, but very repetitive to the point that they are probably just being trolls. They simply don't have much of an arguement.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:58 PM

When they're able to deliver me my groceries at a neglible cost, I will no longer have any reason to drive anywhere (provided we have at least some kind of public transportation for when I'm trying to get laid by someone out of reasonable walking/biking range).

So in my eyes, there's hope.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:09 PM

My parents got one a couple of weeks ago and i checked it out a bit when i stopped by on Sunday. It's an insight and gets about 47mpg on average with my father driving (i believe honda claims 53-55 or so).

To me it looks small and stupid, but he likes it so whatever. Given it's size it doesn't really perform much better than most fully gas vehicles in its class. I'm not really sure that the extra 7-10 mpg is worth choosing it over a non hybrid vehicle.

The only real reason to get one over something like a geo metro would be styling, or the fact that it can use both the motor and the engine to produce more power when accelerating. Other that that though hybrids seem to simply be slightly more fuel efficient, rather than anything truely revolutionary.