Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Hybrid Cars

i never verified it (and it's not as if i could REALLY verify it anyway), but i read that standard civics are overall more eco-friendly than hybrid civics in terms of production and ownership costs to the environment
Old 03-25-2005, 10:27 PM

I purchased an Accord Hybrid a month ago. I love it (but doesn't everyone love their new car...if they didn't wouldn't it be like admitting that you made a mistake, and who wants to do that?)

but it does have some serious performance for a sedan (255hp v6) and I'm getting around 35 mpg combined (but i drive mostly in stop n go traffic)
Don't know anything about the maintenance so far, but the hybrid components have lifetime warranties.

it's probably a little overpriced, though at 30k.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i never verified it (and it's not as if i could REALLY verify it anyway), but i read that standard civics are overall more eco-friendly than hybrid civics in terms of production and ownership costs to the environment

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point and time some hybrids are more expensive to own as far as total cost of ownership. However, fuel price is going to go up, this can't be helped. As it does, even the most expensive hybrid will pay for itself. Their cost of manufacturing, in respect to the environment, are similar.

In the end hybrids are a pipe dream. They are being touted by politicians as a cure all and this is simply not the case. They will simply delay the inevitable. The next century will not be a prosperous one. I still think it is possible to solve our problems, but considering ITER (International fusion project) is 3 Years and 248 Days Past site designation due to political deadlock. They can't even agree on where to build it.

http://fire.pppl.gov/

If you watch this video:
http://128.42.10.107/media/Smalley_O...31101_300k.wmv
http://smalley.rice.edu/

Then if you look at our current political climate, you will see just how screwed me are.

Still hybrid cars are promoting enthusiasm and research. So hybrid cars help in multiple ways. They show politicians that there is political support and they promote technology development. Money is not a problem for solving this problem (a 5 cent nickel tax on gas would be enough). The problem is a lack of political commitment.

Zeno thinks we are screwed. And the more I learn about this subject, the more I am starting to agree with Les Misanthrope.

Still, I'm not going to knock the hybrid car arguement. In a few short years hybrids will be a no brainer and almost everyone will have one. It just won't won't be a cure.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:29 PM

Good post. But, why sell hybrids short? They're still in their infancy and they're really good from what I see. I drive a lot of miles. A lot of high speed highway miles. I'm doing 80 and get passed by a hybrid and that's cool. The gasless car will come out when we need it. As a previous poster said, the regular Civic makes more economic sense. That will change. There will be 10 years of sucky cars like 1973-1983 and then things will get better as the car companies make better cars. I expect most new cars in 5 years to have a hybrid technology.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, why sell hybrids short? They're still in their infancy and they're really good from what I see. I drive a lot of miles. A lot of high speed highway miles. I'm doing 80 and get passed by a hybrid and that's cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not selling hybrids short. I'm all for hybrids, I simply think the biggest advantage from hybrids is the signal they send to politicians that the public is ready to tackle our energy problem. They are a good stepping stone technology wise and I will probably buy either a hybrid or a biodiesel car soon. Technology will go a long way in helping hyrbrids get better, and so will gas prices.

[ QUOTE ]
The gasless car will come out when we need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it won't. Without several miracles, it will come around after we need it. Like I said, the next century will not be a prosperous one.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:16 AM

Century is too long. Like I said, I think about 10 years of sucky cars and then things will improve and get even better. I was just talking about this at work yesterday with an Arab friend of mine. The Arab countries are really going to suffer when the oil runs out in 30 or 40 years. We're going to suffer too but we'll come out it in a few years better, stronger and not reliant on foreign oil. They'll be left with desert unless they start now to diversify. Also, when I use the term "hybrids" I don't necessarily mean the current gas/electric motors used in the Prius. I mean a fuel mileage boosting technology. Is there a term for that? You know, engines other than conventional gas/diesel that invoke advanced technology in order to achieve mileage increases? Kudos on the political angle. People will buy advanced technology as long as they don't get screwed by bad engineering. The OP's reason for posting in the first place....
Old 03-26-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the maintenance like? Do you need to take it to a dealer?

Part of my worry with hybrid cars is that since they've only been on the market a few years, no one really knows how they hold up over the long haul. If that part that combines electric and gas power to your wheels breaks, you're screwed. And who knows how long its lifetime is?

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Maintenance? For a Honda? You need to get regular oil changes. Actually, the Hybrid has a special oil filter, so it's recommended that you take it to a dealer. As someone else mentioned, all parts are under warranty for 36k miles or 3 years.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:26 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

2005 could actually be the best oil year of all time, which means we have nowhere to go but down.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Century is too long. Like I said, I think about 10 years of sucky cars and then things will improve and get even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

As for hybrids, I think we are agreeing. As for the century comment, I don't think you understand the scope of the problem of our energy needs.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:35 AM

That's ok, I know you're a doom and gloom energy is running out global warming will melt the ice caps and drown us all kind of guy. I have faith we'll make it just fine.