Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Hybrid Cars

[ QUOTE ]
though clearly no drugs have ever been created by a private business, so clearly you win there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how you mixed up unprofitable vaccines with any and all drugs, but ok. Way to twist my words beyond all recognition.

[ QUOTE ]
My argument is we don't need fusion, there are many other energy sources to get us through the next hundred years or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really need to watch the smalley video.

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is we are awash in cheap energy, so huge investments in new sources of energy don't make much sense, for private or public research. The peak oil people say our prices are about to sky-rocket, well, I'm waiting...

[/ QUOTE ]

So what, we wait till gasoline is $5 a gallon before we start to worry? When 1 billion Chinese people start to become oil hungry and Russia comes back online we still wait and sit back to see what happens? I really don't think you understand how long it takes to train a physical scientist let alone develop these technologies. You add those two together, not to mention the current scarcity of those professionals, and you are talking about one hell of a delayed response time.

I also don't think you understand the amount of energy China will require once it develops.

As for fuels, yes we can always squeeze more out of mother earth. But there are costs. Research can offer clean cheap energy and a plethora of technologies to drive our economy. If we keep on squeezing mother earth, energy will become more and more expensive and the damage we do mother earth will increase dramatically. That is of course unless you don't believe the past 400,000 year C02/temp correlation from the Vostok Ice core has any value at all.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kjell Aleklett, professor in Physics Uppsala University, Sweden and member of the Uppsala Hydrocarbon Depletion Study Group, is hardly just "some dude".

[/ QUOTE ]

Viewed outside the context of this thread, this sentence is hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm glad atleast somebody is paying attention and my words aren't wasted on a single pair of deaf ears. I really hate these arguements.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:31 AM

What a surprise. Wacki gives incredible and valuable information from reputable sources, and a handful of dopes display their ignorance.

Why do you waste your breath? 90% of us get it, the rest are just grasping at straws.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying that I don't expect a major distrubtion for more than a few years in our way of life due to energy shortages

[/ QUOTE ]
Read the Hirsch report (look in the Politics forum). It's an interesting read. That guy is basically an optimist, and even he says that unless a crash-program is initiated at least 20 years before peak-oil we will face decades of liquid fuel shortages (wich spells out as severe depression in the world economies). And when he says crash-program, he means exactly that. Basically, unlimited funds and every political desition made instantaneously.

I'm not that optimistic.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are actually other sources of energy that are cheaper. Eventually we'll run low on oil and will switch to cheaper, better forms of energy that we already have today. For example, if you could power your hybrid directly from the electrical grid, it would be cheaper than gasoline today. But the technology isn't good enough to make it worth switching while gas is so plentiful.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is so ignorant I don't know if to laugh or cry.

What sources do you propose? There is none. Nothing we have today can even begin to make up for oil. If you belive they can, you need to read up on things like extraction rates and EROEI (Energy Return on Energy Input). Not everything can be abstracted to money, you know.

Power hybrids from the grid?!? How exactly do you belive electricity is generated? Mined out of thin air?
50% coal, 20% nukes, 20% gas, roughly. There's a fair bit of coal left, but it's getting harder to mine it. Gas in the NA is close to it's peak, or maybe even behind it. Nukes? Takes a while to build, plus NIMBY is a problem there... and if we don't get breeders that really work we don't have enough uranium to scale it.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember the Club of Rome "limits to growth"? Wrong, absurdly wrong as world living standards continue to rise for thirty years after their ghastly predictions.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's been a while since I read it myself, but I seem to remember that they have so far been esentially correct.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:47 AM

Wow, DesertCat said some really dumb things and I didn't even catch them. I guess that means I need some sleep. Thanks Il Mostro, you too pfunk.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Remember the Club of Rome "limits to growth"? Wrong, absurdly wrong as world living standards continue to rise for thirty years after their ghastly predictions.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's been a while since I read it myself, but I seem to remember that they have so far been esentially correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been even longer probably since I read it but I am pretty sure thier end of the world should have happened by now. You could argue being off by 20-30 years really doesn't change much. I think the other thing is that population growth has slowed much more rapidly thant they expected. Of course this is all off the top of my head.