Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-25-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Building a bankroll

So i have been playing on partypoker in 10/25 cent blinds. I usually deposit 50 and cash out 50 when i get to 100. Sometimes i will lose the 50 i deposit, but i have got up to 3 cash outs for 150$ profit in about a day before losing my buy in again. One of my biggest weakness's is I will tend to play on tilt after losing a big pot, and this is often how i lose my bank roll.
I'm tired of having to continually go to the bank to deposit money after i bust (I have a seperate bank account that i don't keep extra money in for depositing). I know a good idea would be to just let my bankroll grow more before cashing out. Doing this though would also leave me more vulnerable to tilting away more money.
I know my best option is probably to let my bankroll grow and learn to control my tilt, I just wanted to post my situation and get some feedback though.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Building a bankroll

Yes this is a hard one, i myself also go on crazy tilts and end up losing my bankroll and then have to repeat the same process. I suggest depositing 50$ playing to 100$ and moving on to a bigger game like 25/50c [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2005, 05:47 PM

Move to a higher limit game. The level of competition isnt any better up to a $2/4 level. However I am sure you can handle a $1/2 game if not comfortable to head to the $2/4 immediately. There honestly is not much sense playing the limits you are at. Since you have found these boards I am assuming you are playing to get better and make money. You are on the right track. Read the small stakes boards for a day or two and you will be on your way.

Cash out regularly, and keep track of your play is the best way to up that wad.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:13 PM

I think the other people who responded assume you are playing limit, but it sounds like you are playing NL 25.

Your plan of squirreling money away as you win is ok, but not optimal. It will be valuable for you to learn to avoid tilting as much.

I recommend temporarily dropping to play NL 10 on a site like Paradise or PokerStars. There will be less money in each pot, and losing a buy-in will not necessarily seem like losing a big pot to you. Get used to being overbankrolled, and to having many buy-ins on a site. Build up the money without withdrawing and without tilting much.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:47 PM

Yes, sorry i didnt specify, I do play 10/25 cent NL holdem in 6 handed max games. Thanks for the response pzhon, I was thinking more along the lines though of instead of cashing out everytime i get to 100, instead increase it by 50 dollars everytime. So i will cash out at 100,150, then 200 etc. Only cashing out 50 each time so my bankroll will still grow.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Might I suggest

Tape a $50 bill above where you sit.

Next to it tape an item that you relly like (that just happens to cost ~ $50).

Allow these two things to remind you of the value of fifty bucks.

I used to play 6-12 holdem out west where the blinds were $3 and $6; my major (and to be honest, damned near my only) leak was completing the SB way too often if there had been no raise.

My GF, after growing tired of hearing me whine about this but actually DO nothing, bought me a rather expensive $3 gold piece. (I didn't know prior to this that such a coin even existed). She also replaced the emergency $5 bill I always kept in my wallet with two $1 bills. It didn't take long for me to attach the proper value to three bucks.

A more or less irrelevant (though very amusing) similar story involves the time she walked into the cardroom and saw me chatting with one of the more attractive (as in smokin' hot) dealers. She didn't get angry but did disappear into the ladies room; when she came out she stuck her hand in my jacket pocket and said, "the $3 coin helped to suppress your evil desires in poker by reminding you of the value of $3; maybe having these will help you to supress other evil desires". [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Note: GF is also smokin' hot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It worked like a charm although I was never able to figure out an apropriate manner in which to display her latest "gift" - I could use the $3 coin as a card marker but what was I to do with . . . um, never mind. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Might I suggest

[ QUOTE ]

Allow these two things to remind you of the value of fifty bucks.

I used to play 6-12 holdem out west where the blinds were $3 and $6; my major (and to be honest, damned near my only) leak was completing the SB way too often if there had been no raise.

My GF, after growing tired of hearing me whine about this but actually DO nothing, bought me a rather expensive $3 gold piece. (I didn't know prior to this that such a coin even existed). She also replaced the emergency $5 bill I always kept in my wallet with two $1 bills. It didn't take long for me to attach the proper value to three bucks.

A more or less irrelevant (though very amusing) similar story involves the time she walked into the cardroom and saw me chatting with one of the more attractive (as in smokin' hot) dealers. She didn't get angry but did disappear into the ladies room; when she came out she stuck her hand in my jacket pocket and said, "the $3 coin helped to suppress your evil desires in poker by reminding you of the value of $3; maybe having these will help you to supress other evil desires". [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Note: GF is also smokin' hot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It worked like a charm although I was never able to figure out an apropriate manner in which to display her latest "gift" - I could use the $3 coin as a card marker but what was I to do with . . . um, never mind. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't this make you tilt more? Say after you lose 50 bucks from a bad beat and look up and see the value you of it, I imagine you would be steamed up more, rather then considering it "a way to keep score."
Old 12-26-2005, 04:41 AM

I pretty much disagree with everything you say...seems more like a post to convince us you have a hot girlfriend.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll never be able to take your poker game to the next level if you have this kind of mentality.

Sorry, but this is pretty awful advice.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:35 PM

I would also recommend moving down to NL 10. (On a site other than PartyPoker because the rake will rape you there.)
Your tilt probably comes from inexperience and the fact that you value the money you lost too highly.
Play stakes where you don't mind losing a buy-in and then slowly work your way up.

BTW, taping the $50 to your screen is probably the worst thing you could possibly do at this point.